Clutch Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Replacement

I have an 83 1100L and the clutch is slipping. Hardly raises the front wheel but still very rideable. I have no problem being able to replace the clutch. The question is do I get an aftermarket clutch parts and if so which one or buy stock suzuki parts? This will be fiber plates, springs and steel rings replacement. No short cuts.Thanks for the input.

I redid the clutch in my 750 and used 3 EBC springs and 3 stock, with stock suzuki plates. its good doesnt slip. 6 ebc springs were just too hard for me. I also replaced the wave washer and other metal plate behind the wire spring on the inner hub, it was loose and was rattling.

Comment

If you have below thirty-thousand miles on the bike I'd say you just need to replace the clutch springs.
      Unless of course popping wheelies on a shafty is your ideal of fun.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

very few people go for all 6 ebc springs as they're very hard
        3 ebc + 3 stock, as mentioned, is a good combination
        or all 6 stock for a softer feel (unless you like to often change gears above 6k rpm with wot)

the consensus i think is that stock fibers last longer than aftermarket (ebay)

the steel plates are only available stock but they likely dont need attention (still fine on mine with 100 000 kms)
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Unless of course popping wheelies on a shafty is your ideal of fun.
          Cant an 83 1100L have a chain ?
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I don't know about anyone else, but I can vow that as clutch fibers age, they harden. As you slip them, they further glaze.

Some get lucky with just throwing washers or springs; I didn't.

New oem fibers, wave plate with piano wire, new clutch spring bolts and washers (washers did not come off stock bolts) new oem springs, scuffed steel plates using 220 grit paper, and new oem fibers; be sure to soak your fibers the night before installation.

Also be sure that oil you have used in your bike does not contain the ENERGY CONSERVING label located in the lower half of the starburst on the back.

Comment

forget the mix and match spring trick

barnett is a good fiber plate OEM suzuki will last the longest!!
              soak fibers 8 hours in oil seriously, that is a step lots of people skip. your clutch WILL last longer.

springs are cheap and the aftermarket type fatigue fast!

are the steels heat glazed yet??? probably... and they will slip if they are discolored might even warp if you keep riding it like it is.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Make sure that the clutch cable is not seizing /binding causing the clutch to engage too slowly or incompletely. Especially if it seems to slip in the lower gears. If the clutch is smoked you would typically notice slipping in the higher gears.
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  Cant an 83 1100L have a chain ?
                  80 was the only L model 1100 with a chain. It's the oddball of the group. It scares the hell out of the newer Bandits.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    80 was the only L model 1100 with a chain. It's the oddball of the group. It scares the hell out of the newer Bandits.
                    Well, I know YOURS does!
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                    X