1980 1100ET Stage 3 Jet Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 1100ET Stage 3 Jet Kit

Well guys I am on the last leg of my complete overhaul and rebuild of my 1980 1100ET. I am sure that most of the frequent vistors have seen my messages but for those of you that have'nt I have a 1980 1100ET with a Vance and Hinds 4 into 1 megaphone, a stage 3 Dyno Jet kit and UNI individual air pods. I have a set of adjustable cam sprockets but do not have the knowledge, tools or cash to complete the upgrade so I pulled them of and replaced them with the stock sprockets . At this time I am trying to finish my bike but could use a little help. I have been trying to dial in my carbs but with know prior knowledge I am know understanding how hard it is. Guys I have spent to much time, effort and money to allow my beast to run anything less that great but at this time I just can't seam to dial in my carbs. Would there happen to be a person on this web site that has a bike like mine with the mods that I have preformed that could tell me how he or they have set up there carbs. I am sure that everyone on this web site could understand my broken heart when after all of the efforts and money I have spent to have such a beautifull motorcycle and not be able to ride. I realize that more than likely now bike will dials out the same but it will at least give me a referance or a starting point to work with.

Thanks again for this great sight and all of the wonderfull help that you have provided me through the corse of my rebuild.

Greg Hood

With the limited knowledge(you must be pretty good or you couldn`t have rebuilt that bike) that you claim to have on the carbs personally I would go back to the stage 1 . I know they send both in the same box and go back to the air box. the stage 1 kit usually is not a big deal but you can really get into some jetting problems with the stage 3. Isn`t the filter you are running a foam type filter? That very well could be your problem...to much oil and it will run much to rich. I think individual K&N`s might be easier to jet...even with the stage 3. Good luck!

Comment

Are you saying that you can or can not start your motor at this point
      ?

Comment

If you are in fact running foam filters with the Stage 3, get K&Ns NOW!
        I made a similar switch on an 82 GS 650 E, and putting in two K&Ns (with two carbs per filter) made all the difference. The thing runs wonderfully now. I haven't gotten the carbs synched yet, and it already feels and sounds great. I ended up ordering the filters from AutoZone more cheaply than from Dennis Kirk or anyone else had them.
        J. Daniel

Comment

I have it running at this time. The problem is that when you hit the throttle in bogs out. The only way to add fuel is to chokeing it. It idles OK around 1600 to 1800 rpm when cold and after warming up it will idle OK around 1200 to 1400. At this time I am running real short on cash and can't afford the K&N filters. I am hopeing that I can get it running well enough to do some rideing soon. I am very proud of the work that I have done because except for painting it black it now looks like it just came of the show room floor(not to mention the mod). Let me know what you think and how I might be able to correct them.

Greg

Comment

You will get a lot better advice on your problem than i can give you. I just have to ask a couple more questions. Did you thouroughly clean your carbs before you did the jet kit and if you did what did you use??
            I will asume the bike ran well before you tore it down???

HAVE YOU MADE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ALL THE BOOTS TIGHT And most of all what color are your spark plugs right now. Look at all 4 of therm.

Comment

do me a favor take all the air filters off your bike, and make sure you vent line hoses are removed and the only thing is left is the little tee's between carbs 1&2 and carbs 3&4. take you bike out for a quck little ride, on this ride make sure to open the throtel up and see what happens. if you almost fall off the bike because it took off like a rocket then you need diffrent air filters. K & N's perferably. i had a similar problem with my 550 and a stage 3, i bought some sweet looking oil/gauze indivual pods for each carb, not k and n, prostreet. and the bike worked ok but when ever i hit the throtal and got to about 4000 rpms it got all buggery and nasty, so after trying adjusting my needles for the millionth time, i got mad and pulled my filters and took it for a ride. holy cow did that make a diffrence, smooth all the way to 9000 rpms. i have ordered k and n pods that were speced for my bike, when i get them i'll see how they work out.

ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
              X