Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New ball hone after just 1500 miles?

Hi,

I built an engine for my GS1000 a couple years ago and forgot the pesky little o-ring washer things that go in the oil passage holes in the head gasket. I put new rings with a fresh ball hone (deglaze) at that time. Well, of course it began to leak and so I bought a new gasket set, tore the motor down and built it again correctly. Unfortunately in the process I slightly bent a compression ring and it was unable to spring out against the cylinder wall. So, I bought another gasket set and a ring set and now have the motor torn down again. My question is with just 1500 miles since the last hone, should I hone again with the new rings going in? I have always heard hone every time new rings are installed, but I don't want to wear down the cylinders more than I have to. Thanks,

-Zack

If it is just one piston, simply replace the ring on that one cylinder. At just 1500 miles, I wouldn't worry to much.

If you hone, you need to wash the cylinder with HOT soapy water which means removing the whole cyl assy.

Did you not have the ring compressor tight enough driving in the piston or did you spiral the ring?

Comment

Honing is not an essential task when putting in new rings - I only do it if there's a proper glaze, not just a bit of shine. After only 1500 miles I bet if you look carefully you'll still be able to see your hone marks and you should be absolutely fine.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Sure you can see the hone marks, if you looked with a microscope the marks wouldn't be very sharp, more rounded and worn. They won't cut into the new rings much at all.
        I say hone, then you will know the rings will seal. Do all the cylinders, it only takes a couple minutes and removes next to nothing from the bore.

Or don't, take another chance on yet another time opening up the engine.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hone it! Honig performs several functions. First it is necessary to enable the ring to bed in correctly as tkent02 mentioned after a very short time the honed surface will looose its cutting ability, its like a used file. I will still have the the pattern of high and low metal that defines a file (or honed cylinder) wich will be visible. but it just doesn't cut as it did when it was new. So you need to Hone if you are installing new rings.

Secondly it is designed to hold and distribute the oil film for lubrication adn sealing of the piston and ring. the is where if the hone marks are still visible you are probably OK. So with old rings there is no need to rehone if the hone marks are still visible.

Comment

I was leaning toward honing anyway. You mention hone all cylinders. I'm only replacing the rings on one as the others were brand new rings 1500 miles ago. I certainly don't want to pull it apart again (but clearly I will if I have to). I already have the sleeves off so honing and washing is no problem. And yes, I spiraled the ring (turned it into a helix) when my ring compressors (fingertips) failed me without my noticing. I will use hose clamps on all four pistons this time instead of just the outers. Anyone know of a place to buy a ball hone relatively cheaply? Thanks,

-Zack

Comment

search McMaster-Carr for ball hone.......

Comment

You can look at this many different ways:

1) It's an older bike and you do not want to have it honed with the cylinders properly loaded

2) Means you do a few quick passes to break an surface glaze that was there seeing that you have the cyl off. My fear is how did you bend a top compression ring, usually they are bent by ridges in the cyl walls or improper use of the ring compressor

3) You need to know what the proper cross hatch angle is and then build a gauge to measure it.

4) When you are done, hot soapy water is a must followed up by oil.

5) While the cyls are still torqued that's when you fit the rings to ensure a proper gap.

6) Read and review: all your answers should be covered in these related links:

Vertical CNC Honing System produces constant crosshatch. - Jun 30, 2008 - Sunnen Products Company

http://enginehones.com/technical.html---- Talks about what to use in a genaric sense

Learn about plateauing... good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                X