No announcement yet.

how to make the power difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is plenty of room for an GSXR1100 into an early 550 frame, it is the clearance to the fuel tank that is lacking.

In the three 550 cases I have put 650 cylinders into, one truly needed grinding, one I could tap the cylinders down into. I sure would not run it that way. And the third which is a new set of cases that I am building the 750 into the larger cylinder block set in fine.

Comment

[quote=TheCafeKid;907875]Actually, the 650 was an oddball. It had a plain bearing crank, hi pressure oil system and an 8v head, where as all of the other 8v headed bikes were roller bearing and low pressure system.

Not all of the 650's were plain cranked, only the g and gl model shaft drives. The 650e was a chain drive with the roller bearing crank and low pressure system. You are correct that the 650 were an oddball. The 650e seems like it was a 550 mated with 650 top end. Not trying to bust your chops TCK, your a great member here.

The point of this is, if you want to go the 550 to 650 upgrade, I would look for a 650e motor that might just slip into bike without a lot of modification. Otherwise the 650 topends are the same part number and I would believe to be the same from any 650 model.

As others have stated, newer gsx motors will fit. It has been awhile since it was reported here, but someone had stuffed a gsxr750 into a 550 chassis.

I hate to burst your bubble, but go buy a bigger bike if you want more power. It won't cost anymore money than trying to modify your 550. Just my opinion...

Comment

gee thanks for all the helpful advice I really appriciate it. I think I will look into the 650 bore mod. I know I should prob just get s bigger bike I am 6'3 and 210lbs but i like making a slow bike fast.

my favorite quot
        "driving a slow car fast > driving a fast car slow"

Plus I just like the learning experience. and the work.

Thank you guys again for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
          wow a big bore kit ay that would be sweet. but oh well I guess ill just stay stock. I have read a bout the 650 swap a lot but it just doesnt seem worth it to do all that work for suck a little gain.
          I wouldn't call from 48hp to 72 hp "suck a little gain". We are talking about 24 extra hp here. If you overbore the 650 cylinders by 1mm you have 700cc capacity.

Comment

Working...
          X