Painting engine heads? fin heat issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting engine heads? fin heat issues?

Hi guys, well this sort of comes under both performance and appearance lol... so here i am...

I am wanting to paint the engine on my gs650 G, now the engine head well, im too poor for a dremal etc so cant really get fully in there to polish etc, i was hoping to go for a textured paint like i plan to with the rest of the engine, or just a high temp engine paint...

Just wondering how much will this effect the cooling, will the paint stop/ lessen the air from cooling the oil, thus raising engine temp? I see alot of people do it, any issues? (has no oil cooler)

Will probably make it run somewhere between 1/2 to 2 1/2 degree hotter, but certainly not enough for you nor your engine to know the difference. Several came from the factory with black engines.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Ive done it on two 1100 engines and I didn't deem to have any temp issues. I use a metallic fine two pack, Caprithane by Croda lusteroid in Christchurch. I get into the barrels and head with a small sand blaster that I have here, cleans them up a treat then etch prime them and on with the ood stuff. I've got one here thats done 30000 Kays since painting and shes still a goodun.

Comment

Originally posted by terbang View Post
        Ive done it on two 1100 engines and I didn't deem to have any temp issues. I use a metallic fine two pack, Caprithane by Croda lusteroid in Christchurch. I get into the barrels and head with a small sand blaster that I have here, cleans them up a treat then etch prime them and on with the ood stuff. I've got one here thats done 30000 Kays since painting and shes still a goodun.
        sweet as im trying to avoid stripping motor down as she runs sweet as a nut. i couldnt spot wrinkle finish in a can like another fella used, but i am going to buy some texture stuff called stone touch, it looks kinda like 240 grit sandpaper lol, will hide all the imperfections etc, i mayyyy polish some of it but i have this overall "look" in my head"

what do you think of this effect? I think it should look **** hot in my Bright red cradle frame.

PS: hang on terbang you are on kiwibiker! lol

ALSO!!! HOW THE FECK DO I GET THE CAM CAP COVERS OFF???? They have a little hole underneath, but what is up there, screw, hex bolt? and how the feck you get to it without "suzuki special part number 12345-&%%&&%^65567^*&&(^*^&"

Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2008, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Yosh used to paint his engine fins with Kalgard (a military coating developed for metal preservation that later went commercial). He did it to REDUCE the operating temperature of the engine as it had this side effect. I don't know if and where it is available to the average guy, but it may come in various colors so you might consider looking into it.

-Zack

Comment

Originally posted by bucketsofgs1000 View Post
            Yosh used to paint his engine fins with Kalgard (a military coating developed for metal preservation that later went commercial). He did it to REDUCE the operating temperature of the engine as it had this side effect. I don't know if and where it is available to the average guy, but it may come in various colors so you might consider looking into it.

-Zack

Very interesting Zack, it sounds like worth investigating!

Thanks heaps: Mark.

Comment

Back in the old days Yoshimura used black Gunkote to help dissipate heat from their GS1000 superbike motors. Might be worth looking into...looks good too.

Comment

[QUOTE]ALSO!!! HOW THE FECK DO I GET THE CAM CAP COVERS OFF???? They have a little hole underneath, but what is up there, screw, hex bolt? and how the feck you get to it without "suzuki special part number 12345-&%%&&%^65567^*&&(^*^&"

Easy way to get cam covers off is to remove valve cover from motor and then you can unscrew the cover from underneath. It is possible to remove cam covers from motor without removing valve cover but is royal PITA. I had one fall off while driving and land on my boot. To put it back, I used a short philips bit in a small bar type bit ratchet. It was the only way I could turn the bit when placed under cover. I had to shorten the bit to about an inch long to get into hole and still have clearance to remove screw as loosened.

This is probably a little hard to visualize, sorry for my lack of clarity. Think of a two piece offset screwdriver. Anyway, if wanting to keep covers, I recommend replacing screws with stainless allen capscrews and a lock washer or some form of threadlocker on threads.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2008, 09:50 AM. Reason: Added quote

Comment

yeah the gun kote is the way to go, it's what I plan to do once i get my block back

here is a link to the manufacture

KG INDUSTRIES: THE LEADER IN METAL PROTECTION Metal parts require a variety of lubricants to ensure proper function and reduced wear and tear. When it comes to protecting metal components, no one does it better than KG Industries, LLC. For more than fifty years, KG has been a recognized

you may need to call them to find the best coating for you they offer tons of stuff now and i am sure things have improved since the 70's
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Not sure what kind of paint is technically best to use that that wrinkle black finish should be fine. Key thing, I think, is to make sure the coating is not overly thick.

BTW, engine looks nice. I'm sure you will be fine.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

[quote=waterman;908003]
                      ALSO!!! HOW THE FECK DO I GET THE CAM CAP COVERS OFF???? They have a little hole underneath, but what is up there, screw, hex bolt? and how the feck you get to it without "suzuki special part number 12345-&%%&&%^65567^*&&(^*^&"

Easy way to get cam covers off is to remove valve cover from motor and then you can unscrew the cover from underneath. It is possible to remove cam covers from motor without removing valve cover but is royal PITA. I had one fall off while driving and land on my boot. To put it back, I used a short philips bit in a small bar type bit ratchet. It was the only way I could turn the bit when placed under cover. I had to shorten the bit to about an inch long to get into hole and still have clearance to remove screw as loosened.

This is probably a little hard to visualize, sorry for my lack of clarity. Think of a two piece offset screwdriver. Anyway, if wanting to keep covers, I recommend replacing screws with stainless allen capscrews and a lock washer or some form of threadlocker on threads.
                      Yep makes total sense mate, thanks heaps for that!!!!!

lucky it landed on ya boot haha

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Not sure what kind of paint is technically best to use that that wrinkle black finish should be fine. Key thing, I think, is to make sure the coating is not overly thick.

BTW, engine looks nice. I'm sure you will be fine.
                      Yeah thats another fellas engine, i am just looking at doing the same.

i cant find wrinkle black in any shops here, so i may have to go with stone touch effect which is grey
                      then black over the top...

Comment

was just wondering what to do about my block, to paint or not to paint!
                        That structured paint looks damn good, I may have to borrow that idea, if you dont mind?
                        Dont know if we have the Gunkote on this side of the pond.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-26-2008, 05:12 AM.

Comment

I was planning on using POR 15 engine paint on my gs1000

Comment

Originally posted by skivit View Post
                            That structured paint looks damn good, I may have to borrow that idea, if you dont mind?[ATTACH]5086[/ATTACH]

Yeah mate go for gold, im not one to go its my idea so you can't do it mwuahahahah....

yeah i cant get gunkote here either, and that stone effect wont work, i think i will go satin black, polished bolts, black sidecovers., with red accented fins.

Comment

Originally posted by skivit View Post
                              That structured paint looks damn good, I may have to borrow that idea, if you dont mind?[ATTACH]5086[/ATTACH]

oh and you think thats nice, theres heaps of pics of the bike on bike pics.com, look at the frame!

I mean god, just look at it

Comment

Working...
                              X