79 GS850 new points question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS850 new points question

The points I bought have two little packets with a yellow solution in them. What is this for ? is it to clean the points ? If so how should I do it ? I don't see anything in my manuals about using a solution.

Breaker cam lube. Just clean off the breaker cam and squeeze a bit of that lube on there. Wipe off any excess.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

You should lube the point cam every 5k miles to keep you new points working. DId you replace the condensers too !!!

Comment

The points I bought came with the condensers also. I haven't really changed anything yet. I've been reading the manual and asking quesitons before I start tearing her apart. Thanks guys I never thought about points cam lube. See this is what I love about this web site. Thanks again !!!!!!

Comment

It's for "his or her" pleasure after you get the bike running great with the new points.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ok, I've got another question about the lubing points cam thing. There's a white color pad that is held against the cam shaft. Won't that just rub the lube off ? or should I soak it with the lube so it will keep the cam lubricated ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              Ok, I've got another question about the lubing points cam thing. There's a white color pad that is held against the cam shaft. Won't that just rub the lube off ? or should I soak it with the lube so it will keep the cam lubricated ?
              Lube the felt pad with "said" solution.

Comment

Thanks Don !!!! That's what I was guessing I should do.

Comment

Working...
                X