Starter Relay qusetion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Relay qusetion?

Ok I was told to go pickup a lawn tractor relay, mine has a wire coming out I assume for clutch saftey switch if I can use it how do I bypass saftey switch?

That wire on the solenoid is not from the clutch switch, it's from the starter switch. That is what engages the solenoid, so you don't want to bypass it.

Now to answer your question:
    To bypass the clutch switch, follow the wires from the switch into the headlight housing. There are two bullet connectors inline there. Disconnect them, then connect the two bullets that are part of the main harness together. Now you don't have to pull the clutch to start the bike.

Last edited by Steve; 10-25-2008, 11:08 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Unlikely

You probably don't need it; let us know how it works out.
      1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

steve: whereabouts might one look for the two connectors in the wiring harness? just follow if possible from the headlight? i would LOVE to disconnect the clutch safety switch.

i find it a real pain while trying to work the choke.

Comment

Originally posted by boathead View Post
          steve: whereabouts might one look for the two connectors in the wiring harness? just follow if possible from the headlight? i would LOVE to disconnect the clutch safety switch.

i find it a real pain while trying to work the choke.
          It's behind the headlight - just follow the clutch switch wires into there, you'll see the connection.

BTW, the clutch switch is identical to the front brake switch; so if you ever need some parts, there's an easy source.

Mike
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by boathead View Post
            steve: whereabouts might one look for the two connectors in the wiring harness?
            Just follow the wires from the clutch switch into the headlight housing, you can't miss them. There will be a connector in each of the two wires and they have the gender of the connectors conveniently opposed so that when you disconnect the clutch switch, you can connect the two wires from the main harness together. You can leave the wires leading to the clutch switch disconnected if you wish.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X