Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
    80GS1000,
    how did things go with the alt. rotor removal?
    just wondering...
    I gave up. The starter clutch only occasionally acts up (like once every 40-50 starts) so I'll put off replacing it until next winter and then have the local GS guru wrench do it. Lots more productive (and less frustrating) things to be done to the bike this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
      First time removing a rotor here...

What am I doing wrong? I got the authentic Suzuki rotor removal tool and a new starter clutch from Bikebandit today and I tried removing the rotor. The rotor wouldn't budge.

I threaded the outer part of the tool onto the rotor till seated, and then the inner part into the crank(?) till seated. Then I hit the inner part with a 22 mm socket attached to an electric impact wrench while my wife held the other end of the crank under the ignition cover with a wrench to keep it from rotating. It's left hand thread so the impact wrench was turning to the left. Wouldn't budge. Are you supposed to hit the rotor with a rubber mallet or something to get it off after using the rotor remover tool?

Ideas please?

Also, what's the correct procedure to re-install the rotor and starter clutch during reassembly?
      Too bad you gave up. It can be hard to do unless you install the remover just right.
      Where I think you went wrong is where you say you turned the center bolt down until seated. That's not enough. After you seat the socket firmly, you hold the socket with a wrench and firmly tighten the center bolt after you feel it seat. Give a good couple of whacks with a brass mallet while holding the socket. Removing the rotor depends on the rebound (outward) force that occurs just after you hit the bolt. Sometimes, you don't get immediate, noticable results. You then hold the socket from turning and tighten the center bolt a tad more. Repeat hitting the bolt. That little bit more you tightened is how much the rotor will come outward the next time you whack it, if done correctly. After a few cycles it should come off.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
      X