Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Removal - Shaft Drive

Hi

I'm in the process of removing the engine from my 81 GS1000 shaft drive.

What is the easiest way to remove the engine with respect to the shaft drive system. When I removed the engine from my parts bike I was taking it completely apart so I removed the swingarm as well so the drive shaft was not an issue.

On a honda I worked on I was able to remove the rear wheel and final drive unit and simply pull the shaft out of the swingarm. In this bike it doesn't seem to want to come out that way... am I just not trying hard enough?

Thanks
    Steve P

I haven't done it but if you unbolt the driveshaft from the engine it should give you enough wiggle room to get the engine out. The swingarm has to be removed to actually get the driveshaft out of the bike

Comment

you have to undo the linkage at the engine end (under the rubber boot)

take off the gearshift mechanism cover (sprocket cover on a chain drive bike) so you can get at the clamp. unscrew the clamp, then slide the boot back...

then undo the 4 bolts.... then you can take the engine out....(the engine must be taken out via the right (brake control side) of the bike.

Hope that helps any other questions go for it

i once cut the clamp on the boot because i wrongly assumed it was a cable tie, it wasn't....DOH

Comment

Thanks,

The engine is ready to pull.

That's tomorrow's project!

Comment

Working...
        X