Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb question

Greetings,

I just got my first bike, a 1982 gs450t, & have a question maybe someone can answer or at least point me in a good direction. Given it is cold, but my bike takes a bit to heat up, even with the choke usually all the way down. Then, sometimes when I am riding, the bike just TURNS OFF. Too, The bike takes a few moments to react when I pull the throttle open. Also, sometimes when I am just idling, the bike JUMPS to 3000RPM's or more. Is this a common problem because of the Control Valves? I just feel as if the bike is not giving me its full potential. Could it be a pilot jet/idle jet problem? I'm trying to read up on mechanics because I really want to understand & get to know my bike; should I take apart the carbs, look & clean'em?

Also, my engine oil light will not turn off. I just changed the oil & constantly check it and it appears full. Should I be worried?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-26-2008, 09:30 PM.

Originally posted by mdonof02 View Post

Also, my engine oil light will not turn off. I just changed the oil & constantly check it and it appears full. Should I be worried?
    Yes. Very worried if you've been running it without any pressure.
    Hopefully it's just a faulty indication.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by mdonof02 View Post
      Greetings,

I just got my first bike, a 1982 gs450t, & have a question maybe someone can answer or at least point me in a good direction. Given it is cold, but my bike takes a bit to heat up, even with the choke usually all the way down. Then, sometimes when I am riding, the bike just TURNS OFF. Too, The bike takes a few moments to react when I pull the throttle open. Also, sometimes when I am just idling, the bike JUMPS to 3000RPM's or more. Is this a common problem because of the Control Valves? I just feel as if the bike is not giving me its full potential. Could it be a pilot jet/idle jet problem? I'm trying to read up on mechanics because I really want to understand & get to know my bike; should I take apart the carbs, look & clean'em?

Mine will, at times, do the same thing. When it's cold it will start with some help from the choke, and runs fine for about 10 minutes, then when I let up sometimes it will die. I have discovered if I turn the kill switch to off then back to run it starts right up and is fine. It was a lot worse, but I changed the plugs and it is tons better.

Comment

Pressure

if I am running the engine (?) without any pressure, how can I tell/correct it?

Comment

Working...
        X