Crankshaft work for 82 GS1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankshaft work for 82 GS1100e

Hey guys, I just bought a new winter project. I picked up a 1982 GS100e for about $800. The bike is perfect except the crank needs to be pulled out, true'd and welded. I have been told Falicon in Florida is the best place to send this too for this work. I live in Tennessee and was wondering if anyone knew of another place that can do this work. Falicon site says it will take $250 to do this work.

I can't answer your question but someone will be along soon.

Welcome to the forum ..

That bike come from Craigslist in Frankfort KY by any chance ?

Lets see some pics OK ?

Comment

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I REFUSE to send cranks to Falicon due to some issues several years back with them. I will tell you this, Stan Gardner at GRC or John Pearson at Pearson Racing are both HONEST & FAIRLY priced & will do AWESOME work! I only use GRC but also hear great things about Pearson. I build 15 to 20 GS motors a year so take it for what it's worth. Your choice, Ray.

Comment

your crank probably will not pass inspection at Falicon if it is already out of phase. they will send it back to you. and you still pay the shipping. You will need to buy a NEW SUZUKI crank and send it to them.

Pierson still does good work but you are going to have a good crank to begin with. or send 2 for extra parts. and get ready for $500.~~$800. bill. have you thought about katana rods?

the bike shop KPM here in the quad cities, send a lot of them to him.
          Tom Klemme is going to the winter nationals on a pierson crank DIV 5 champion going for another national championship. Sportsman Pro bike 2008
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

You got info?

Welcome to the forum ..

That bike come from Craigslist in Frankfort KY by any chance ?

Lets see some pics OK ?[/quote]

Well, yes on the bike from Frankfort. That is an odd question. Do you know something I don't? I had a GS just like this some 16 years ago, and my wife bought this bike for me as a anniversary gift. She couldn't pass up on the bike because it was the same color and year, and the low price of course.

Comment

What is the advantage of Katana Rods?

Comment

The Katana rods, or 493 rods as they are numbered on the sides, are the STRONGEST stock rods made by ANY of the bike manufacturers! Even a LOT of the Kawi Funny bike guys use the 493 rods. EVERY crank I have built for my own motors gets 493 rods. From a dealer I believe they are around $75.00 each. I can get them cheaper but with shipping you may pay around the same. Find out what you can get them for & if I can beat the price let me know. I get cost + 10% from the Suzuki dealer here that sponsors my dragbike. Let me know if I can help you & welcome to the site! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                  I REFUSE to send cranks to Falicon due to some issues several years back with them. I will tell you this, Stan Gardner at GRC or John Pearson at Pearson Racing are both HONEST & FAIRLY priced & will do AWESOME work! I only use GRC but also hear great things about Pearson. I build 15 to 20 GS motors a year so take it for what it's worth. Your choice, Ray.

im glad to see someone posted about john and his crank work.
                  besides his crankshafts, he does all his own work in house, head porting/trans repairs-street-race-auto's/clutch baskets/case boring/tig welding repairs/cyl. boring ect..
                  all in house there in west alexandria ohio.
                  if you have him do a suz. 16v. crank and he doesnt have the spare(used) parts needed in stock(crank throws/used rods/crank cores/ect..
                  i have alot of that stuff and im 30 mins away from him, no shipping needed.
                  john pearson racing--->937-839-9723

and as far as falicon is concerned...
                  ive seens several cranks come back to the owners after falicon said they couldnt be fixed cut in 2 or 3 pieces(CHOP SAWED)
                  you ever seen that one ray?

Comment

No, but I got REALLY ****ed & stopped sending them anything after an incident I had with them. I sent them a brand NEW Suzuki crank with 493 rods on it to have them Supercrank it. It came back & then the customer asked me to hold onto it for a month while he got some more money together because he decided to go straight cut gears after all. A month later we sent it back asking them to put a straight cut gear on the crank. They called me the day after they got it & told me the bearings were ALL bad & pretty hammered! The crank was brand NEW & NEVER even in a motor yet! I reminded them of this & they said they would call me back. The next day I got a call back saying they had "confused" my crank with another! What a CROCK! I never sent another item to them as I had been warned before this about them by someone else! That person had a crank that only had 3000 miles on it & NEVER raced, 64 year old owner, that wanted to convert to straight cut gears & have it welded to prevent trouble down the road. (82 crank) They told him it was hammered & needed all new bearings & the rod side play was WAY excessive! My friend, another engine builder, measured EVERYTHING on that crank before it got sent to them & it was PERFECT! I DON'T trust them! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      No, but I got REALLY ****ed & stopped sending them anything after an incident I had with them. I sent them a brand NEW Suzuki crank with 493 rods on it to have them Supercrank it. It came back & then the customer asked me to hold onto it for a month while he got some more money together because he decided to go straight cut gears after all. A month later we sent it back asking them to put a straight cut gear on the crank. They called me the day after they got it & told me the bearings were ALL bad & pretty hammered! The crank was brand NEW & NEVER even in a motor yet! I reminded them of this & they said they would call me back. The next day I got a call back saying they had "confused" my crank with another! What a CROCK! I never sent another item to them as I had been warned before this about them by someone else! That person had a crank that only had 3000 miles on it & NEVER raced, 64 year old owner, that wanted to convert to straight cut gears & have it welded to prevent trouble down the road. (82 crank) They told him it was hammered & needed all new bearings & the rod side play was WAY excessive! My friend, another engine builder, measured EVERYTHING on that crank before it got sent to them & it was PERFECT! I DON'T trust them! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        im glad to see someone posted about john and his crank work.
                        besides his crankshafts, he does all his own work in house, head porting/trans repairs-street-race-auto's/clutch baskets/case boring/tig welding repairs/cyl. boring ect..
                        all in house there in west alexandria ohio.
                        if you have him do a suz. 16v. crank and he doesnt have the spare(used) parts needed in stock(crank throws/used rods/crank cores/ect..
                        i have alot of that stuff and im 30 mins away from him, no shipping needed.
                        john pearson racing--->937-839-9723

and as far as falicon is concerned...
                        ive seens several cranks come back to the owners after falicon said they couldnt be fixed cut in 2 or 3 pieces(CHOP SAWED)
                        you ever seen that one ray?

Terry do either you or Mr Pearson have the ability/tools necessary to degree the cams? I can get the sprockets, just dont have the guage and what not to do them with...

Thanks
                        Josh

Comment

TCK, here is a downloadable degree wheel. http://www.tavia.com/free_degree_wheel.html You can get by with just a dial gauge but a piston stop helps find TDC. Plenty of info on How To online.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            Terry do either you or Mr Pearson have the ability/tools necessary to degree the cams? I can get the sprockets, just dont have the guage and what not to do them with...

Thanks
                            Josh

yes,yes,and yes.
                            do you know what numbers you want to use?
                            if you have never degree'ed cams before...
                            if you want to do it yourself..
                            you need to read up and a video would be of great help to you or anyone wanting to learn how.
                            V&H had one years ago, thats how i learned to start with.
                            maybe someone here has a copy or can tell where to find it.

Comment

From talking to a few people I will likely do 105/107, for more midrange. Never done it myself, have read alot about it and understand the concept, but I am hands on learner.

Comment

Working...
                              X