Petcock rebuild: 82 GS1100GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock rebuild: 82 GS1100GL

anyone reccommend any specific petcock rebuild kits? my carbs keep overflowing and I got gas in crankcase and blah blah im sure you all have heard it before. Im also planning on putting a manual fuel shut off valve between the petcock and carbs just as a procautionary measure. my petcock gaskets and diaphrame are screwed though.

Just buy a petcock, none of the rebuild kits seem to fit.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

fuel tap kits usually miss a rather important spring that pushes the diphragm shut, so an all new tap is the best way to go

btw, no need for an extra valve if the tap is functional
      GS850GT

Comment

I have rebuilt them, but I recomend buying a new one. Check with Z1enterprises.com you can get a generic replacement for around $50 the kits are $30

Comment

well the general consensus is a new petcock. ill get right on that. thanks all.

Comment

well i have already ordered the valve and i figure its just a precaution for me at this point. I was about 200 mi from my house when i noticed the carb overflowing and overfull oil. i figure if i just take a sec and shut off the manual valve then im never gonna drain half my tank into the crankcase again. lol

Comment

Originally posted by lordcannon88 View Post
              well i have already ordered the valve and i figure its just a precaution for me at this point. I was about 200 mi from my house when i noticed the carb overflowing and overfull oil. i figure if i just take a sec and shut off the manual valve then im never gonna drain half my tank into the crankcase again. lol
              Flush and fill, gets the gook out.

I went OEM and just replaced mine early as pm.

Even if your pet cock is bad, your needles and seats should stop gas from flowing over into the crankcase.

OEM is the only way to go with needles and seats, I won't begin to tell you the nightmare I chased with inferior parts only to spend more money to buy OEM, synch, and ride the rest of the summer. OEM is the only way to go... umm did I fail to mention that OEM is the only way to go with needles and seats?

Comment

no im not sure if i got it...lol...aftermarket carb parts only right?

Comment

no im not sure if i got it...lol...aftermarket carb parts only right?
                  If your into S&M then aftermarket carb needles and seats are the way to go. Or you could just let the bambo grow through your body as it is less painful then chasing crappy parts.

I went to OEM and man, tuning was a breeze. Bike could sit for three weeks in the fall at 40 degree weather and it fires right up; no blowing into the tubes.

A Robert Barr o-ring kit is the way to go, helps with cold starts and fast warm ups.

Comment

I rebuilt both of my GS petcocks with no trouble and no parts (one is on my GS and the other on my Concours). So long as the diaphragm isn't damaged...

Neither petcock has given me any trouble since then - all I did was disassemble, clean, and then reassemble. No such luck with the original Connie petcock, which leaked.

I was amazed that the GS one fit the Connie as well as it does!

Comment

So Shafty, you failed to mention where one gets these OEM needles and seats. Please elucidate.

Comment

On an 82 you have the CV/BS type carbs, It is common for fuel to leak past the O ring on the float needle seat--part of the O ring kit. Probably just needs good cleaning

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                          On an 82 you have the CV/BS type carbs, It is common for fuel to leak past the O ring on the float needle seat--part of the O ring kit. Probably just needs good cleaning
                          i figure if the carbs are as screwed as the rest of the bike is....argh. ive had it 6 weeks and each week something else has screwed up. so far ive had a buncha mystery oil leaks, starter motor failure, throttle cable broke....fuel overflow problems...blah. im waiting on electrical problems next. is there any past links on the float seat repair/cleaning? i figure i may as well admit that the bike is about to go into winter mode and ill rework the carbs and such. also are there any links to the 82GL factory service manual floating around the web in pdf form?

Comment

Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
                            So Shafty, you failed to mention where one gets these OEM needles and seats. Please elucidate.

I go through these cats because they are local. You pay a lot more for quality components, but seeing that I have had the opportunity to compare products side by side: there simply is no comparison.

You could probably find someone cheaper or someone closer by you: I will leave that up to you.

Comment

i figure if the carbs are as screwed as the rest of the bike is....argh. ive had it 6 weeks and each week something else has screwed up. so far ive had a buncha mystery oil leaks, starter motor failure, throttle cable broke....fuel overflow problems...blah. im waiting on electrical problems next. is there any past links on the float seat repair/cleaning? i figure i may as well admit that the bike is about to go into winter mode and ill rework the carbs and such. also are there any links to the 82GL factory service manual floating around the web in pdf form?
                              I used the carb link below:

You'll need a can of Berryman's dip to be able to dip your carbs. Great stuff.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Contact Robert Barr at the bottom of the link supplied above: he will hook you up with the proper o-rings for your individual application...it is very important to replace all of them, even the ones behind the intake boots. I bought two kits from him and have gone through two sets of CV carbs so far.

What did I learn: you can not synch a rack of carbs to one bike and expect it to work on another: each is different. This was on two low mileage GS1100GLZ. Each bike must be synch'd individually.

Comment

Working...
                              X