• Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100e rotors

well i picked up an 1100ez the other day
    been riding it sun and took it to work today
    runs great
    i am very happy with it

im working on trying to find another gear indicator as mine isnt working right

but i noticed a grinding noise coming from the front brakes, and if i put it on the center stand and lean the back down and spin the front wheel and it was tight then loose then right witha grinding noise

i looked at it more closely, and i see nice polished portions of the rotor and then it looks like rusted portons, to mean that means the rotors are warped
    also when coming to a stop, steady hand on the brake, it will cyle on and off, almost like abs, also making me think they are warped

now i see rotors on ebay, but i dont know if i want to chance getting another bad set, also what other years and model are interchangable?

i looked at bike bandit, but there aftermarket ones are redicuouls 213 per rotor, and they only have rear listed

where is an affodable priced rotor i can get for this bike?
    hell i can buy all new rotors and pads for my jeep for 213

i dont need stop on a dime brakes, just something as good as if not some better then the stock rotors

thanks

Originally posted by GS1100ez View Post
    where is an affodable priced rotor i can get for this bike?
    I dont know. Im on my 3rd set. Factory set was replaced under warranty in 1983. 3rd set came from someone here with a wheel and a tire I rode on for 2 years. $50.

Ask this guy what he did with his front wheel......

Last edited by bonanzadave; 10-27-2008, 09:02 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

aftermarket rotors are crazy priced!

I have a set of stock 1981 GS1100EX rotors for sale!

Comment

just ordered some pads
        changed them over tonight
        rears where ppretty eaven inside and out with both being almost to nothing

fronts were a bid odd

left side
        in and out both looked fairly new, still had a deep grove in them

right side
        well
        inner looked failrly new, lots of meat left, outter, was GONE, to the metal plate

took a Cclamp to all the rotors to open them up

put everything back together, pumped up the hand brake and it got good and hard

hopefully the rotors wer ejust a little stock from sitting befor i got the bike, and all will be good now, it did take a little force to get the pistons to depress back into the calipers, but after the inital force was pretty easy

will prob go for a ride tomarrow and check them out

Comment

Hope the new pads do the trick.

If not - I noticed on another site (classic ujm) that there is a post for:

Stock GS1000 78 Rotors (solid)
          $25 plus shipping
          About 20K only on these.

Hope this helped.
          85 1150E

Comment

If not I have a decent set of front rotors from an '83 1100E. $35 including shipping for the pair.
            Greg B.
            Just measured them and they are well within spec as far as thickness, .200 for one & .204 for the other. Suzuki's spec is .200 +/- .008, with a minimum service limit of .180
            Last edited by Greg B; 10-30-2008, 10:52 PM. Reason: additional info
            The Three Horsemen
            '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
            '83 GS1100ES
            ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
            Porkchop Express

Comment

Sounds more like you may need to rebuild your calipers and/or grease the slider pins.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

used parts locator

I have a secret but I'll share it with all of us GS ers

mrcycleparts.com fill out a request and BINGO!! very respectable and I use it very often and get bikes on the mend before you can buy a 12 pack.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                X