79 GS850 replaced points issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS850 replaced points issue

I replaced the points using Clymer repair book. When adjusting the half plate for Cylinders 2&3 I couldn't get the contact points to even touch ?!?! 1&4 seem to be ok. Here's what i did...........Turned crank so the F1&4 line up with timing mark, adjusting timing plate so that the points were just opening. Turned crank till F2&3 lined up, no matter how I moved the half plate contacts wouldn't touch. Thought i would give it a try, I started her up and she ran real slow. Put timing light on cylinder 4 wire and then find tuned timing. Put timing light on 2 and even 3 and the timing light wouldn't even blink at all. When I set the gaps I used .303 feeler gauge. Any suggestions ???

I had that happen on a Honda once and it turned out I had the wrong points. Compare them to the old ones.
    You know the right points adjust seperatedly from the left, right?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Chef. The points looked the same. And yes I realize the left (1&4) and right (2&3) points are adjusted separtely. The package the points came in says fits GS850-'79. Maybe I need to buy new points.

Comment

You should have 12 v on either set of points when they are open. Make sure you didn't cause a short when you hooked up the condenser to the fibre washers. Their is a left & right point set If they are mounted correctly they should adjust
        Check & make sure the rubbing block on the points is not broken
        Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I put the old condenser (for cyclinder 2&3) back on and got the bike to fire on all four. With the timing light on I had to rotate the half plate for 2&3 all the way counter clockwise and the timing was still a little advanced. 1&4 are exactly right on even when I checked over 2500 Rpm's. 2&3 over 2500 are also right on. So I'm counting my losses with the idle being a little off for 2&3. Funny thing is just as an experiment I put the new condenser back on and it ran the same. Not sure if the condenser was just not connecting very good. Who know's. I believe I'm done with this task. Next is the Boots and O'rings between the carbs and heads. Thanks everyone.

Comment

You can short the condenser if not hooked up to the points correcty
            You might recheck the point gap, it can change the timing

Comment

Good advice Sqdancer, I'll recheck the gaps tonight. Thanks you've been a lot of help.

Comment

I re-gapped the points from .303 to .35 and re-did the timing. The timing is perfect now !!! WaaaaHooo !!! Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                X