Might as well do it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might as well do it.

It looks like the riding season is about to close. I have about 4 months to finish the work on my bike. I really didn't want to pull the engine to paint the frame, but after seeing some pics of other bike restoration projects, I thought I might as well roll up my sleeves, grab my tools, and have an intense bonding session.

I will start out with one of the hardest parts: Polishing the carbs. After that I will remove the engine, tear it down, and replace any worn parts. Then I will remove the front and rear wheels, brakes, forks, swing arms, and all electrical wires and componants. Sanding and painting the frame should be easy. (I already have some cool Honda Blue with metal flake and clear coat)

This will be a long process because I only get 1 day a week off from work.

Unfortunatly, I don't have a camera to take pictures yet (I will ask Santa) so I am unable to show you how my progress is going, but I will keep you all informed and probably ask questions as I go.

While I am working on the engine, is there anything I should pay particular attention to? I am a fairly good at techinical stuff and I pride myself that "If I take it apart, I can put it back together.".

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks all for your help and support with the carb cleaning information. Now I know how they work and what to check when they don't.

I will keep you posted (hopefully with pics)
    Bones

Profound glimpse into the obvious...

Hi Mr. Bones,

It sounds like you will have quite a lot of quality time with your 650E. Are you planning to rebuild the top end? New valve seals, rings, honed cylinders, etc? That should be refreshing. Use real Suzuki OEM gaskets. Don't drop your cam chain. Even if you replace it, you can at least use the old one to pull the new one through the bottom end. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yes Bass, I plan on replacing valve seals, rings, honed cylinders, re-seat the valves, clean all the carbon, check valve springs, replace the cam chain (I won't drop it). If I have time, I may even check the clutch pack for wear. (the bike has only 11,500 miles)

My goal is to make it look like new and run like new. (Big expectations for a first bike huh?)

If your going to dream, dream big!!

Comment

Hi Mr. Bones,

With such low mileage, do you really think it's necessary to do all that to the motor? Perhaps all you need to really get it running well is a good carb clean/adjust and a valve check? But if you want everything to be like new, I guess that means everything. You didn't mention a new chain and sprockets. Might as well do those while your at it. New paint on the wheels always looks nice too. How about new fork seals/oil/springs? It can get to be a pretty long list. Sounds like fun.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hey Bass.

I know that the fork seals are bad. ( I have replacements already) I didn't think about the chain and sprockets, but I have to at least change the chain. (rusty)

Pain the wheels, hmm.. That sounds like a good idea. I am also going to check the wheel berrings and the swingarm berrings. I am also going to check the brake calipers and rebuild them if bad. ( I was told "Safety First") I think that new springs/shocks is also a good idea. (The adjustments are stuck)

Do you think I should pain the brake calipers? Can I paint the calipers?

Wow my list is growing!! I better get started on those carbs. (They are already off the bike)

Thanks again Bass. You are a mountain of good information.

Untill Next time.

Bones

Comment

With 11K miles I doubt very much that the cam chain is bad. Many have had them with 80-100K miles. IF it was mine I would scrub the outside of the engine, do the top end - base & head gaskets & just change the valve seals. Maybe hone & rings depending on inspection. Have you checked the compression ?? OR had the motor running ????
            My 79GS850 has 45K never had the head off, original clutch
            Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2008, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              With such low mileage, do you really think it's necessary to do all that to the motor?
              my thought exactly
              why not spend the money on cosmetic side of things?
              other than replacing the valve seals i doubt anything else would be worth the work
              GS850GT

Comment

The engine runs, but sometimes there is a little smoke comming from the right side #3 or #4. I did a dry compression test and had a constant 110 psi across all cylenders. ( I saw some posts where compression was 125 ) I will do a wet compression test to see if anything changes.

This bike has been sitting outside for about 7 years before I got it. I am afraid that some of the seals may have dried out, and after all my cosmetic work, it decides it wants to leak. Call me paranoid.

I will take your advise and decide what to do after I get into it.

Thanks a lot

Bones

Comment

Actually, polishing the carbs will be the easiest thing on your list.

That is, if you are only doing the tops and the float bowls. If you plan on polishing the entire carb body, you will definitely be in for a long hard process.

If you have a bench grinder, get a felt buffing wheel and a tube of polishing rouge from Lowe's or Home Depot. If the parts are really nasty, you can use some fine (600, 800, 1000-grit) sandpaper first, then just use the polish on the buffing wheel. The results are rather impressive and quick. I don't think I spent more than 5 minutes on each float bowl and 3 minutes on each top when I did my wife's carbs.
                  (Of course, it took a bit longer on the stator cover, shifter cover, clutch cover, ignition cover and rear footpeg mounts. )

Just in case you can't see how much shine there is, here is another angle:

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Steve,
                    You're embarassing the rest of us with your handiwork pics.

Comment

Hey Steve:

I think I have decided to clean the carbs and polish the diaphram covers and float bowls.

I think I did something rather stupid. A buddy of mine said that I could use an acid wash to get the nasty stuff off of the carbs. I tried it and now the bowls and the covers are etched. (looks dirty) I am going to have to use sandpapper (320, 600, 800, 1000, 2000)

Would it be ok to paint the carb body if I am carefull? If so, I still need to get the nasty stuff off of the carbs. (a dremel with a wire brush attatchment is all I have right now) The stuff on the carbs has a green/yellow tint to it. Oxidation? Is there something I can use to make it quicker or do I just need to continue with the wire brush?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Bones

Comment

the only problem with painting the carbs bodies is that when you next want to dip them in the cleaning fluid, the paint is going to come off and make a mess
                        GS850GT

Comment

I never thought of the paint comming off. Thanks for the info.

Bones

Comment

Hey Steve: This is the first time I had to put on sunglasses just to look at a picture.

That is a very beautiful job.

Comment

That is my carb (he did for me) in the penny picture

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                              Hey Steve,
                              You're embarassing the rest of us with your handiwork pics.

Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X