Do I need to change filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to change filter?

Do I need to change the oil filter when I change the oil due to fuel in the crankcase?
    billy

Re: Do I need to change filter?

Its a good idea to change the filter, or at least to remove the filter and drain it thoroughly before reinstalling it.
    Earl

Originally posted by 78gs550
    Do I need to change the oil filter when I change the oil due to fuel in the crankcase?
    billy
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Anytime you change oil, change the filter. You can get them cheap by ordering them from J.C. Whitney. about $3.50 a piece. Sounds like you got a bad diaphragm on your petcock if the gas has gone to your crankcase.

Comment

I've gone through this problem and it is a good idea to change the oil filter. You won't be able to get the smell of gas out of the oil if you leave it in, this will make it hard to tell if your petcock is still leaking.

Good luck, Steve

Comment

Personally, if the oil comes out, so does the filter. The only time I have broken that rule is when I discovered I put in the wrong rotor and had a no charge situation. (some rotors have more magnets than others, and will only work with certain stators)
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
            Personally, if the oil comes out, so does the filter. The only time I have broken that rule is when I discovered I put in the wrong rotor and had a no charge situation. (some rotors have more magnets than others, and will only work with certain stators)
            Kevin
            Thats interesting. How about telling me more sbout that rotor and magnet situation.

Comment

In this situation a chnage of filiter is a good idea. If you cannot at least drain the oil filter cavity. A warning, I have seen cheaper filters half collapsed when chnaged, so dont assume they will last forever, particulalry if there has been petrol in the oil.

Comment

Working...
              X