Where do I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I start?

I've posted before about my woes with my GS750. This winter, I want to be able to ride again. Right now the biggest issue is electrical problems. I've been reading the stator papers and plan on testing the charging circuit. However, I also have a problem with the blinkers. Whenever I tried to use them, the headlight would dim (if running on high, it didn't light up on low) in time with the blinker, and I only had a solid light with the blinkers. This happened after dropping the bike, which caused the front brake light switch to break off, which was jury-rigged to the handlebars. There was no visible damage to it.

So where do I start with finding where this short is?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Nalayah View Post
    I've posted before about my woes with my GS750. This winter, I want to be able to ride again. Right now the biggest issue is electrical problems. I've been reading the stator papers and plan on testing the charging circuit. However, I also have a problem with the blinkers. Whenever I tried to use them, the headlight would dim (if running on high, it didn't light up on low) in time with the blinker, and I only had a solid light with the blinkers. This happened after dropping the bike, which caused the front brake light switch to break off, which was jury-rigged to the handlebars. There was no visible damage to it.

So where do I start with finding where this short is?

Thanks.
    Probably not a short if you're not blowing fuses. Those are symptoms of a weak charging system.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      Probably not a short if you're not blowing fuses. Those are symptoms of a weak charging system.
      Could also be poor grounds...but I'll go with Billy on the weak stator unless everything worked perfect before the fall.

Comment

I agree with Billy, do the Stator papers first to see where your charging system is. After that you I would suggest checking and cleaning all of your electrical connections and ground wires including the main ground wire to the motor. If you do not have any buy some dielectric grease to use when re-attaching your connectors, it is available at most auto parts stores. Have you run the additional ground wire from the R/R?
        82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Nalayah View Post
          I've been reading the stator papers and plan on testing the charging circuit.
          I would stop the planning and start the testing.

It is good practice to replace all the old bullit type connectors with nice new 1/4" spade connectors throughout.

Good Luck
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

trace and chase!! is the name of the game

from switches thru sheaths . plug blocks, the works test resistance and insulation breakdown of every wire.

relax , there are less than 100 wires total from signals ,charging system, starter interlock, lighting, stop, plate light, gauges.

if you just keep track by taking notes and using a digital camera. I use tape and a number system mark as I go. so I can leave and come back later not forget where we were..
            it is easier after a little repeat familiarity under the tank and under the head light..

tough part is when it is way hidden inside and far to get to. you may find water and yukky stuff inside there. screwing up grounding and separation of circuits crossing / reverse feedback goofy stuff water does.
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
            X