Tank fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank fitment

I have a 1982 GS650GL, and I am considering a new tank. It seems no other tank has the same part #, though alot of them look just alike. Does anyone know what other tanks will bolt up? I know the seat shape has alot to do with it, but I have to replace that too due to rust issues. Can I get a tank and seat from a 850G or 1100G or something like that? As long as the tank fits and has 2 bolts to hold it down in the back and a seat that locks in the back through a hole in it, I'm good. Maybe some people can send me some key measurements so I can compare? Thanks!!!

sometimes the tank part numbers are different only due to the different paint/graphics scheme

suzuki changed the frames in 1982, so you need to be looking for post-82 parts

850g and 1100g have interchangable tank and seat, but for 650 i am not sure, sorry
    GS850GT

Comment

Thanks for the info on the frames. That does help a lot. Anyone else?

Comment

Take measurements of:

The width between the center to center points of your rear mounting bolts (assuming it has two)

The width between the front cups that the rubbers sit in.

The length between the cups and the bolts

The length of the tank overall from the back of the "neckhole" to the rear mount holes

Then, see if the guy who has the tank you are interested in will do the same. Using this method, i found that an 850L tank will fit a 550L of the same vintage. Pretty cool.

Comment

Let me know when you find the answer. I have an '82 650GL that needs a bigger tank as well. I can tell you that the tank from a 750ES does NOT fit. Cups were too wide for my frame, and length was too long. It could be modified to fit, but not without a welder & hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by buddha View Post
            Let me know when you find the answer. I have an '82 650GL that needs a bigger tank as well. I can tell you that the tank from a 750ES does NOT fit. Cups were too wide for my frame, and length was too long. It could be modified to fit, but not without a welder & hammer.
            You're going to have to use an "L" style tank from a BIGGER "L" bike if you want a bigger tank and still want it to fit without modding.

Try an 82 or so 850L tank, they are 4ish? gallons i think vs the old school "L"s three? or whatever it is. Other than that, you're going to have to move the front mounts on the frame further up, near the neck, in order to use an "E" or "ES" type tank from anything....

Comment

well, if an 850L tank fits on a 550L, chances are it'll fit 650L, too (from the same frame period)
              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
              X