GS450L Fuel problems - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450L Fuel problems - HELP!

Well, I really don't know where the problem is coming from. I am hoping that the combined expertise of this board can help me out!

I have an 82 GS450L, and it started giving me problems after it sat for a couple months with no use.

The bike had been starting with difficulty in the morning, usually sputtering and barely idling before finally catching and running well. But one day as I was driving, it started sputtering, and then died. I had to push the bike about 3 miles back home, which was not fun.

I disassembled the petcock, cleaned and inspected it, and reattached it. Still didn't want to run.

So I removed the carbs, disassembled them, cleaned the very dirty screens inside, and reassembled them.

Which brings me to today. I put the carbs back on, charged the battery up, inflated the tires. And then it fired right up! NICE.

Well, about a mile from home it started to surge. It felt like giving it more throttle was doing nothing, and it soon stalled. I have to go down and push it home in a little while, right now it is in a parking lot.

So, any ideas what the problem could be? I've cleaned and inspected the petcock and carbs, checked all the fuel hoses for cracks and leaks. I'm at a loss. Help!

Sounds like you got something in your fuel. The screen had to get dirty some how. I would check your tank for any debris and make sure that you are getting good fuel flow through your petcock.

Comment

I would get a new petcock and check the tank for rust.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My vote is bad gas. I had the ame thing pretty much happen to me a few years ago. Drain you tank and put in a full tank of gas you can trust.
        1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
        The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by snark View Post
          My vote is bad gas. I had the ame thing pretty much happen to me a few years ago. Drain you tank and put in a full tank of gas you can trust.

Well, I was doubtful. But after draining the gas, and replacing with new gas and some fuel system cleaner, it has been running great.

Thanks for the advice, I am out riding and enjoying the beautiful fall weather!

Comment

Working...
          X