Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To antidive or not to antidive.

Hey guys im doing up my gs650g...

making one out of two, i have an 81 and an 82...the 82 forks have antidive.... the 81 forks do not. i have heard the 82's antidive is more trouble than gain because it is such a pain to bleed etc, i understand that when ya hit the picks hard it restricts flow in the forks, hence less dive...

but is it really worth bothering? or shouldi just run with the non anti dive forks. i cant decide

Most people disconnect it. I've read that it doesn't work that good. But not to be confused with the anti-dive on the 1150s. They work off of the fork oil, and I think they work just fine.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Ditch it.
      IMHO It hasnt worked well on any bike I have been for a ride on.
      Cheers

Comment

You really have to step back and look the advantage you have over an old bike...that being you can look at what's happened in the 20~30 years since it was made and know what has worked and what did not...things that didn't work didn't stand the test of time. Have you seen the antidive mechanism on the 2009 GSXR 1000?

Comment

Hey,Skid old mate.I'll be interested to hear what you get up to as I've just purchased 2 x 650's (this morning)to build 1 ,same like you.I've got 2 E's so we'll have to stay in touch about parts,prices etc,etc.Are you going down the custom or original road??? I'm building this up for Mumma Bear and haven't decided which way I'll slide.Tending down the custom road at the moment as I went original when I rebuilt my 'S.(for the obvious reasons) but am thinking of a little more creativity this time around.Cheers,Simon.
          http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

If its anything like the functionality of the 1100s antidives, which work off the brake system, here are my thoughts on it.

Does it work? Yes, in the sense that it does dampen the amount the forks dive. Does it do it consistantly, as in does it seem to dampen the same amount every time? No. IMO, i would prefer to know exactly how the bike is going to react every time i brake hard. Therefore, i would rather have it dive, than to have it not dive by an inconsistant amount. Just my opinion however.

Comment

This won't do you any good, but the electronically activated anti-dive found on the first generation GSX-R reportedly worked very well. It worked off of the front brake switch so brake fluid pressure was reserved for the brakes.

Comment

Working...
              X