Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early or late production??

HI All...
    Am trying to figure out by using the serial number from my bike as to whether or not it is early or late production?
    It is a 1981 Suzuki GS1000L.
    Does the last 6 digits indicate the production number? I have read that they start with 100001 being the first of the line, then so on.
    My number is 100184...so correct to assume it is the 184th of the line? Out of how many produced?
    thx
    Rick

is that your engine number?
    if so, it is a 1980 production number

what's your frame number?
    something like: GS100G-700xxx ?

your bike may have been produced in 1981 using an engine manufactured in 1980
    Last edited by psyguy; 11-04-2008, 03:54 AM.
    GS850GT

Comment

You looking at the frame number that is stamped in the frame steering neck? If so, looking at the metal tag on the other side of the steering neck, should have date of manufacture that list the month and year. (and the year may not be the model year)
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

early production will be dated 09-79 for a 1980
        late production will be dated as late as somewhere in july or august of 80

from what I can remember, no the last 6 are not just the production date but I can be wrong, just ask my wife LOL

Comment

His concern is that of the year the frame/final drive were manufactured. The late production 81 shafties used the crap splines in the wheel. Like I said tho bro, the easiest way to find out is to pull the wheel. The GOOD, older ones will be black. The CRAP middle production ones will be goldish, almost a galvanized bolt colour, and the NEW NEW ones will be silver apparently, tho ive never seen one in person. I seriously doubt yours is one of the NEW NEW ones, so if its black, you're ok (just make sure you clean it to check that its really black and not just covered in grease) If its gold, get rid of it ASAP. Here's some pics of what a bad one looks like, and what happens to it...

This is what it will look like still inside the wheel...

Comment

Working...
          X