Micro torque wrenches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Micro torque wrenches

Can anybody recommend a decent brand of "micro" torque wrench (say, for 20 to 240 inch-lb. range) at a reasonable price. I just checked Sears and Checker Auto inline: Sears had some at about $67, and Checker had a "Powerbuilt" model at around $47. I am planning to use the wrench for torquing up the clutch spring bolts to spec level (without stripping anything) but these prices are higher than I expected.......or is this a case of having to pay to get decent quality and accuracy?

I hate to admit it but tools are like alot of things...you usually get what you pay for. I have bought many cromwell/snap-on and mac over the years and they last. I`ve also got craftsman and for the money they are hard to beat.

Comment

Forgot the reason for my post in the first place...I bought the craftsman and the plastic ring that locks down the torque setting broke on mine....same one you are looking at...like I said get what ya pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
        I hate to admit it but tools are like alot of things...you usually get what you pay for.
        just like women!! :twisted: EXPENSIVE!!!

Comment

I have two "click" type torque wrenches, both by Craftsman. One is in in-pounds and the other is in foot-pounds. Had them for years and never had a problem with them. My dad has been using a Craftsman Digi-torque wrench for over 25 years and has only sent it in for calibration and nothing else. If you price the Snap-on or the Proto wrenches you can expect to pay in the $100+ range.

I swear by my Craftsman tools...never bought a tool at a auto parts dealer so I can't say what their tools are like.

Hap

Comment

I have a GRAY torque wrench I inherited from my dad which is about 20 years old. They make good tools and stand by the warranty. I broke a 7/8 box end with a 6 foot cheater bar, they replaced it no questions. 8)

Comment

Simon, since you don't intend to use this on the job daily...Harbor Freight. They're Chinese of course. www.harborfreight.com item# 2696-1vga. 1/4" drive 20-200 inch=pounds. 27.99. +/- 4% accuracy (or so sez the cat listing.)

Comment

if you can find a engine rebuild/machine shop catalog, look at the torq wrenchs in there.....my friend has been using the same wrench for 15 yrs with no problems, around 100$ too.

Comment

I've had a Craftsman 3/8 drive 0-150 lb and an inch lb snap on that have never given me any trouble. I also have a 1/2 drive 0-150 ft lb Craftsman deflection beam that I have had for thirty years at it is still within 10 % FS and I could send it out and have it recalibrated at a calibrations lab. It would cost about $40 dollars to get it recalibrated and I don't thing its worth it besides knowing how much its off means I can still use it occasionally. I was joking around once and asked if sears could replace it as it was a craftsman product and the sales person thought that they could if I would bring it in though he said I would have to leave it and let them see if they could find a comparable product in their regional inventory.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
                    Simon, since you don't intend to use this on the job daily...Harbor Freight. They're Chinese of course. www.harborfreight.com item# 2696-1vga. 1/4" drive 20-200 inch=pounds. 27.99. +/- 4% accuracy (or so sez the cat listing.)
                    I have a deep suspicion of inexpensive (read "cheap") tools, so when I read Jim's quoted post I was a bit skeptical of the wrench. For basic tools, such as screwdrivers, wrenches and sockets, I like to have a quality item (although I will admit to owning a host of "economy" implements ). However, the high prices of some of the inch-pound torque wrenches I checked had my wallet squirming, particularly for a tool that would only get occasional use (as Jim pointed out). So I checked out the link Jim gave?..then I did a search on the internet for opinions/reviews of this torque wrench and Harbor Freight / Pittsburgh Tools. To my surprise I found a positive review of this exact same wrench at http://dodgeram.org/tech/tools/torqu_wrench.htm. I also discovered an "epinion" page that talked about getting decent quality basic hand tools at either Sears ("Craftsman") or The Home Depot ("Husky"). However, the writer went on to say for torque wrenches "without extreme cost, order?.from Harbor Freight Tool Company. They sell a ?" torque wrench for $16.99, made by Pittsburgh Tools, that is as strong as they come. Mine has been accurate and functional for 3 years now"?..not the same torque wrench as the one I was looking at buying but reassuring nonetheless. This is the link for that epinion page: http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-review-...39FFBA6A-prod1.

To cut a long story short, I visited the Harbor Freight web page, discovered that they had 2 stores relatively near me (Denver and Fort Collins), then took a Saturday motorcycle jaunt to buy the torque wrench, plus a set of ?, 3/8 and ? inch socket drive converters. The store was having a sidewalk sale so I got a 10% discount: result a 20 ? 200 inch-pound torque wrench for $24.99! I haven't used the wrench yet but the quality looks decent and sufficient for my occasional use.BTW, country of manufacture is Taiwan.

Thanks Jim!!

Comment

Glad I could help out!

Comment

Working...
                      X