Kickstand info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickstand info needed

Hey all. I've got a 79' GS850 that I'm working on. The kickstand seems to fall back too far under the exhaust so that it's difficult to get at with my boots on. The kickstand seems loose when it is in the up position (loose meaning the bolt is secure but the arm itself has an inch or so play back and forth. No big deal except my boot can't quite reach it. Where the arm attaches to the frame it's almost as if there is a spacer that is missing causing this but it would be an 1/8" or less if it was a spacer. I tried some lock washers but that didn't work. I'm new to the bike (as you can tell) and there isn't another one in town to look at. I was hoping someone could post a couple of close up pictures of their kickstand for me to compare to. I would need one showing where it is supposed to be in comparison to the exhaust when up and another one of where it connects to the frame showing any spacers, the bolt and the spring. Maybe that would also tell me if it is bent (but I don't believe it is). thanks.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

As far as the kickstand going too far up under the exhaust your probably missing the rubber bumper #12 in the picture below. Other than that if you indeed have the correct kickstand the below picture should help you sort things out.

Comment

my question is related to the kickstand, although not directly related to azr's question.

where could i get a kickstand? my bike only has the center stand, which is a bit more difficult to work with.

Comment

Ebay or a breaker for a kickstand. The mount should still be on the frame.

The 550 I had was like that & the stand was original & the bumper (#12) was in place. Pain in the butt to get your boot on it to put it down.

I think It's either missing a bush, is horribly worn at the mount or it bent. Take your pick. You could likely fix it by bending the stand or the mount slightly bearing in mind it will likely "lean" more if you do.

If the mount is horribly worn bush it.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Everything is there including the bump. I'll have another look at it and see if the mounting plate looks bent. Looks like I'll have to play around with it. Thanks for the info.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Or the mount on the frame could be loose. If it is it's a problem as you can't get at the nuts on the top to hold them while you tighten the lower bolts. A piece of PP Suzuki design - the nuts are welded in position and then a box is welded over them in the factory. The welds on the nuts rust out and the whole thing just spins.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
            X