head gasket confusion with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head gasket confusion with pics

I pulled my '82gs750 apart and im not sure about the head gasket. The old gasket had rubber 'seals' around the oil holes, and the new gasket i got isnt made to be used with them. Is this just a running change Suzuki made?

Just a different make of gasket. The new one looks to be all metal, three layers, while the old looks like some sort of alumanized cloth or woven fibre with a metal (copper?) core.

Comment

Suzuki apparently made a change to the gasket design. No worry I think, just go with it.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Suzuki apparently made a change to the gasket design. No worry I think, just go with it.
        Yeah, should have added that part too...Ed's right, go with it, it will be just fine

Comment

The new gasket is Genuine Suzuki. I dont really know if the engine has ever been pulled apart so I dont know if the old is aftermarket or not.
          I think I should smear some sealer around those holes when it goes back together anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            The new gasket is Genuine Suzuki. I dont really know if the engine has ever been pulled apart so I dont know if the old is aftermarket or not.
            I think I should smear some sealer around those holes when it goes back together anyway.
            NO. the metal is coated with a bonding agent that when its subjected to heat and pressure will seal the gasket. The old one was OEM Zook too, but they've just went to a different design, probably one that seals a bit better and leaves behind less residue when you remove it. Before you install it you will want to make sure the mating surfaces are SPOTLESS however.

Comment

That is a mls gasket (multi layer sheet). in my experience those seal better than any gasket as long as all of the old gasket material is removed and both surfaces are true. definitely do not put any sealer on it. I have used copper coat in the past and had no problems but I'd just go with it.

Comment

ideally, the mating surfaces have to be machined to be absolutely flat

then that new gasket would seal better than the old one

as mentioned, dont use any goo
                GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by asetech View Post
                  That is a mls gasket (multi layer sheet). in my experience those seal better than any gasket as long as all of the old gasket material is removed and both surfaces are true. definitely do not put any sealer on it. I have used copper coat in the past and had no problems but I'd just go with it.
                  close. its actually multi layer steel. they are much better that fiber gaskets.

Comment

I did some research after buying a new Athena head gasket for a GS1000GT that does not use any other rubber or copper seals, just the head gasket as it comes out of the pack. The MLS is coated with a special sealing layer, in my case it was black and was a Viton rubber layer. This gasket had smaller holes around the head studs and a smaller center rectangular hole and does away with the rectangular rubber o-ring and the seals around the outer studs. Athena claimed it is the same spec as the latest version of the OEM gasket.
                    It is fitted and has done about 300km and I have just today checked the torque and tightened slightly to spec. No leaks and all seems well.
                    It was a bit intimidating at first as most people are more familiar with the older spec and were a bit dubious as to this approach, as they have not used it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                      It is fitted and has done about 300km
                      hey, matchless, good to hear that your bike is on the road again. hope the resto went well!
                      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                        hey, matchless, good to hear that your bike is on the road again. hope the resto went well!
                        psyguy, thanks. Yes she is just about done. Sidecovers are in the post and then next year just the paint work on tank, tail and sidecovers and I am done.
                        Just a comment, I was very impressed with the quality of the Athena full (61 bit) gasket set. It was manufactured in 2006, so maybe the negative comments by some were applicable to the older sets. Obviously time will really tell.

Comment

Working...
                        X