drive gear for speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drive gear for speedo

I asked this at the end of a previous thread but didn't get any responses.

after some poking and prodding i found that the reason my speedometer doesn't work is my 'drive gear' I found one from a 1982 gs750 but i have a 1978. mechanically they look the same from the pictures but does anyone know if they are actually the same, or close enough to be used?

if they look identical and it fits the wheel then yes, it should work ok
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Unless the tire size changed, I would imagine it would be fine. I don't think the companies would have lots of individual kinds of these. As long as the tabs fits properly I would go with it.

Comment

They carry different part #s SO I would say NO. the 78 speedo fits into the head. The 82 fits thru the cam cover

Comment

looks to me like they are the same.. (havent gotten the part in yet so i can't say for sure.) according to alphasports anyway.

82 GS 750
          78 GS 750

EDIT: sorry hadn't found alpha-sports till after i asked the question

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            They carry different part #s SO I would say NO. the 78 speedo fits into the head. The 82 fits thru the cam cover
            You're talking tacho...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              You're talking tacho...
              ahhh, that would explain it. i was wondering where the cam was on the front wheel

Comment

It looks like they are the same by way of part numbers. You really have to check closely since suzuki uses at least two different speedometer drives that appear to be identical at first glance. I have found that the L model drive has a lip that extends beyond the gear tooth while on the g model it is much closer. I believe the e models use the same as the g but don't quote me on this. I get frustrated with the ebay sellers who only state that it fits a gs850 and then the pic only shows the outside of the drive so you really can't tell which 850 it fits. Good luck, check the drive unit for smooth operation, clean it with solvent, and lube it with some grease.

Comment

They are identical, and I can say from experience that they will work just fine between either model. They'll also work on an 850. I have a couple of 1100G drives, and they LOOK to be identical as well, but have not tried them on another model to see if the ratio is the same. The wheel sizes changed a bit, so its conceivable they are slightly off..

Comment

My bad I was thinking tach not speedo !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X