82 GS1100E starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100E starter problems

Hi, I just bought an 82 GS1100E for $600 and I have a question about the starter. From what I gather from talking to the guy I bought it off from is that the clutch that engages the starter to the crank is stuck engaged. I havnt had time to look at it closly, or to pull the magneto off to look at it. In fact, its still at the guys house. I have to get it home some how, and I was thinking if I pulled the starter off it I could push start it and drive it home. I was wondering if any one has had this problem before, and if it will damage anything if I run it with the starter off.

Thanks,
    Brian

That could be several things. There is a good chance you(he) has spun the rotor on the crank. Shearing the starter bolts off. The end of the crank may also be toast...lets hope not. I would go to the trouble of getting something to haul it to where you can work on it. You may need a special tool to remove the rotor....I have seen some weld themselves on also. In 83 they went to a larger end on the crank because of this. Good Luck.

Comment

Dont do it! first, with the starter removed, there will be a open hole for oil to be slung out of. second, the idler gear wont hold up well to spinning at engine running speeds, the starter spins a idler gear that inturn spins the starter clutch on the crank.

Comment

Thanks guys. Im gona borrow my dads trailer to haul it to my cusins hosue.

How is the starter clutch set up?? Im gona borrow a book from a guy at work. My dad used to be a bike mechanic, but he doesnt know I have the bike because Im actualy not suposed to have it. SOOOO, Im kinda on my own. I know oil would splash out, but I figured it would be minimal and there is kinda a catch basin where the starter is. But anyway. Thanks for your help and Im impressed with the quality of this board.

Comment

Working...
        X