Here's a technical question :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rudy View Post
    So what happens when I say mine has a lever on the left side of the carbs? So does my buddy's 750.
    That means they were before the knob-type units. Not sure when that change was made.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Someone once posted up a site that sold aluminum spools to replace those plastic ones...might have been the same place that sells aluminum cam end plugs, but i will be damned if i can remember where...wish i knew!

I bought them from a guy on ebay that had a carb rebuild business (not wiredgeorge). I'll see if I can remember who he was and let you know. They were 20 bucks a set. I bought three sets. Well worth the $$.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        That means they were before the knob-type units. Not sure when that change was made.

1979 I think...at least true with the GS1000
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

That was when Suzuki went from VM to CV type carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            That was when Suzuki went from VM to CV type carbs.
            OK, so I take it that the VM carbs had their enrichener contol lever on the carbs, the '80 and '81 CV carbs had the knob and the '82 and newer had a lever on the left handgrip?

Makes sense to me.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have an OEM choke knob retainer for my 850. It looks remarkably like a 13mm socket...

BTW- this gets my vote for best noob question too...but seriously there are no stupid questions here, just people who need answers and a LOT of really great folks ready to help! good luck brother!
              Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2008, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I guess you don't need to worry cause it ain't running?

Comment

I have a 81 GS850G and the choke pull knob would not stay up for cold start.
                  I tried to tighten the plastic friction lock but that did not work...
                  I sprayed some contact cement (C77) on a Q-tip and wiped it on the shaft near the knob. It dried and it works a little too good but it solved the problem easily.

Comment

Put a clothes pin under the choke knob to hold it open. Then when warmed up, clip the clothes pin onto the wires from the brake lever. I did this for a year until I got around to replacing the choke cable for 16 dollars. That seemed to solve the problem.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                      Put a clothes pin under the choke knob to hold it open. Then when warmed up, clip the clothes pin onto the wires from the brake lever. I did this for a year until I got around to replacing the choke cable for 16 dollars. That seemed to solve the problem.
                      innovation at it"s best Duane

Comment

Yes, Mr. duaneage is a very practical guy. I also like his idea of getting a bunch of fuses ("they're cheap") and use them for troubleshooting ("start wiggling wires") when you're trying to find a short. Common sense is not very common any more. Neither is common decency nor common courtesy. But we've got the whole package in Mr. duaneage.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I shove a ball point pen cap at the end of the rod on the carb = full choke. Since the cap is slightly tapered, one can back the cap a little to lower the revs once the bike is started.

One time while out riding my free to me 79 CR 250 near the Nooksack river, I lost the main mounting bolt holding the engine to the frame, under the exhaust manifold. I found a suitable diameter of vine maple and pounded it in with a nearby rock a rode for a few more hours.
                          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                          X