Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secondary drive set

G'day,

I have a 1985 GS1100G and due to investigation of a nasty 'blown g/box' noise I recently found the nut snapped off from the driven gear assembly in my secondary drive set. Apparently this is a common problem (or at least so I'm told). The new replacement cost for this set is exorbitant and that's providing that they can even get them anymore. So, at this stage, I'm currently doing the rounds of the wreckers trying to find a good second hand set.... but to no avail thus far (seems these sets are the first part to be sold from any GS1000G/1100G wrecks).

Can anyone suggest any alternatives for this problem please?

Cheers,

Max.

Max, I have just been in the same situation. What I did was check with some of the guys parting out the bigger shaft drive GS's in the parts for sale and see if they have one they will sell you. If you are doing the work yourself I can tell you that you need to almost take out the motor (well just have it loose enough that you can lift the engine up about an 1") I just got mine installed last Monday and still have to button everything back up. You will have to replace both sets of gears so that they match. If you need any help let me know and I think I can walk you through it.

Comment

Check the microfiche at bikebandit.com to verify part numbers, but my 1983 GS1100GD now has the secondary gear set out of a 1980 or 81 GS1000G; they have the same part number. This may increase your odds of finding what you need. It's not a hard job. You're swingarm bearings and the end of the driveshaft needed greasing anyway, didn't they?

Comment

Their have been two sets on ebay reciently, I bought a spare for mine. Just keep watching ebay

Comment

Working...
        X