Stuck Valve Shim GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Valve Shim GS850G

I am checking the valve clearance on my 82 GS850G. I removed (and reinstalled) the shims to check their size. One of the shims is now apparently stuck as I can't get it loose with a small screw driver. Any advice anyone can offer would be welcome. Thanks.

Hi CCMcC, might seem like a daft question but I take it you have the bucket positioned so you can use the notch in the top edge to get the screwdriver so you can prise out the shim ?. I guess if you`ve already removed & replaced the shims you will have but its the obvious question to ask first. If the notch is accessible, could be the blade of the screwdriver is to thick, have you tried a penknife blade ?. Another option, but a last resort would be to get the smallest blade screwdriver you have, get the tip at the joint between bucket & shim & try gently tapping the end of the handle with a light hammer. Can`t see how else you can get the shim out, but maybe someone else here has some other idea. Good luck anyway.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Thanks for the reply

That's a good question. The notch was turned out and I tried to pry it from there (even using a small eyeglasses screwdriver and gentle tapping with a hammer as you suggest). I wonder if I inadvertently got the shim in slightly crooked when I reinstalled it. I have not started the bike yet, but thought running the engine might might straightened it out...or not.

Caleb

Comment

That happened to me once but i had the cams out so I pulled out the whole bucket and tapped it with a hammer.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Maybe use a length of 1/2" (or so) wooden dowel as a drift to tap downward on the shim every 45 degrees or so around its circumference. That, or just rotate the engine two revolutions to make sure it compresses its valve at least once. I'd think that should seat the shim if it's cocked at all.

Also try prying upward at two points, 180 degrees apart, with good sharp screwdrivers.

I've had them put up a good fight, but all the shims I've fought were 'stuck' by oil & vacuum...
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Closing the loop

As it turned out, the shim wasn't stuck. It was held in place by motor oil. I used the point of a pen knife to gently pry it out.

Comment

Working...
            X