8V and 16V engines use different carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8V and 16V engines use different carbs?

Will carbs from a '82 GS1100L work on a '80 GS1100 that uses the 16V TSCC motor? I'd assume the jets are probably different but both are 34mm. Thanks for your knowledge and insite ahead of time.

yep they can work with the proper changes to ALL jets and possibly a change of the choke linkage, dependent on the donor bikes choke setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Roemy24 View Post
      Will carbs from a '82 GS1100L work on a '80 GS1100 that uses the 16V TSCC motor? I'd assume the jets are probably different but both are 34mm. Thanks for your knowledge and insite ahead of time.

I believe Suzuki used the exact same set of carbs. Mikuni BS34SS but as stated, the jetting is slightly different. If you decide to go with a different setup for carbs, it's the spacing that's important: 77-93-77 measured in mm, center to center on the output ports that mount to the engine. To gain the most performance out of that 1100E, you should consider running K&N air pods and a 4-1 exhaust. The jetting on the carbs has to be configured correctly if you do that. One method is to buy a DynaJet Kit from K&N or you can do some research and pick up the items you need individually or consider talking to the guys at Factory Pro for advice. http://www.factorypro.com/

Comment

Thank you gentlemen, that is very useful info!

Comment

On top of the Technical forum there is a sticky with information regarding jetting on the various carb models. In looking over this data, the 1000G jetting is definitely different than the 1100E for example. The differences go beyond the common jets like the mains and pilots – see below for an example of what I’m referring to.

If you do this swap I’d try to move over as many parts are possible to get the proper jets in the carbs.

1981 GS1000G(X) GS1000GL(X)

Specs in mm.
          Carb Type- Mikuni BS34SS
          Bore Size-34 mm
          ID# - 49160
          Idle r/min - 1050 +/- 100 r/min
          Fuel Level - 5.0 +/- 0.5
          Float Height - 22.4 +/- 1.0
          Main Jet - #115
          Main Air Jet - 1.7
          Jet Needle - 5D57-3rd
          Needle Jet - X-8
          Pilot Jet - #40
          Bypass - 0.9, 0.8, 0.8
          Pilot Outlet - 0.7
          Valve Seat - 2.0
          Starter Jet - #45
          Pilot Screw -Pre-Set
          Pilot air jet - #160
          Throttle Cable Play - 0.5-1.0
          Choke Cable Play - 0.5-1.0

1981 1100 EX

Specs in mm.
          Carb Type- Mikuni BS34SS
          Bore Size-34 mm
          ID# - 49200
          Idle r/min - 1050 +/- 100 r/min
          Fuel Level - 5.0 +/- 0.5
          Float Height - 22.4 +/- 1.0
          Main Jet - #107.5
          Main Air Jet - 1.2
          Jet Needle - 5D58
          Needle Jet - X-1
          Pilot Jet - #45
          Bypass - 0.8, 0.8, 0.8
          Pilot Outlet - 0.9
          Valve Seat - 2.0
          Starter Jet - #32.5
          Pilot Screw -Pre-Set, Varies
          Throttle Cable Play - 0.5-1.0
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I looked at the sticky and realized that the majority if not all jets would need to be swapped. I was more concerned if there was anything more than that I may have been over looking. The sticky is very useful!

Comment

Carbs.

I am running a set of 49400 carbs from an eight valve GS1100G 82 model on my sixteen valve GS1100E 82 model. No changes in the jetting, just a straight swap. They really do the job. The oem carbs on the 16 valve motors were a bit lean and the "8 valve" carbs are FINE. BTW, the throttle and choke linkages are identical. These are both 1982 models however.
              Lee
              Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2008, 10:20 PM. Reason: additional info.

Comment

The main air jets are different and that is the one jet that cannot be changed. I would stick to 16 valve carbs with the 16 valve bike.
                Dynojet makes a press in main air jet for the 8 valve carbs that makes the main air jet the same size as the 16 valve. (good luck buying them seperately)
                Saltymonk is running my 16 valve 34mm carbs on his 80 GS1000 without the press in main air jets from the Dynojet kit with the rest of the Dynojet kit installed.
                They are different. I measured.
                Trust me
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X