Should I buy this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I buy this?

I am looking to buy my first bike and an early 80s gs looks like the bike for me. I have searched craigslist and e-bay religiously and I found a gs850glt 1980 on craigslist for $1100. The seller writes:
    Classic 1980 Suzuki GS850GLT motorcycle with 23335 miles. Runs great; excellent condition, shaft drive, gear indicator light and fuel gauge, windshield, ready to ride. I am in need of a hip replacement and it is painful to ride, so I have to sell it.

What do y'all think?

Here are the pictures

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Scott/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Scott/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

I think "BUY THE DAMN THING" looks OK. Honestly if you like the bike and it runs good, with no major issues, at $1100, you got a very fair deal, obviously your going to talk him down to 900.00, which makes it almost $1.00 per cc., doesnt get better than that!!! Good luck nice first bike, clean smooth ride--dont let it get away, by thinking to hard!!

Comment

Looks like a well cared for bike. If the $1100.00 is in the budget and the bike is as stated. Fair price. Maybe not a steal, but those deals are getting harder to find.

Comment

cool I like the wheelie stand!! buy it.

Comment

+ 3 on buying, clean examples are hard to find. You can try to wait around for a better deal but if you want it and have the cash, buy it.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

DSP,

Looks like nice condition, looks stock condition. Seems like a good-fair price, especially with it being in such nice condition.

You have a chance to sit on it yet?
            Being that its an L, with the stepped seat and pullback bars, if you are taller you may not like how you fit on it.

The 850s , both G and GL, have great repretation for reliablility.

You got it home yet?

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Seems like a very nice bike and the price is fair......but its always nice to get a few bux off. I personally like to get bikes for $1k or less (Scottish can't help it). $900 is a nice round number, give it a try.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers,
              spyug

Comment

If you know someone with a little MC knowledge and the seller is willing to let someone ride it Id say take it for a good test ride. Maybe someone from the GSR near you would be willing to give it a once over....but be careful. They may buy it out from under you.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The instrument cluster is NOT 1980, at least in the USA. I also Hate the Sissy Bar/Luggage rack/Wheelee bar combo but that is cosmetic. The price sounds OK for a solid bike with low miles. Do some reading here and check it out.
                  sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                  2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Of course you have to try to get the price down a bit - no one pays the asking price without trying to get it down a bit.

But even at that price, if the bike runs and rides well, you can't go wrong.

I believe that our friend MarvinSC may be mistaken, I think that is the original gauge cluster for an '80 GS-L.

I ride an '81 1000GL (essentially the same bike) and had an '80 1000GL years ago, so I am going from memory on this gauge cluster.

These 850L's are great, reliable bikes. Just ignore any anti-'L' model comments that some may make here. They think the G models with their bigger tanks, flatter seats, and slightly more comfortable handlebars are better. But there isn't really that much difference between the two bikes. Just as there isn't that much difference between an 850 and a 1000 shaftie like mine.

The one recommendation that I think everyone here would agree on, that you will enjoy the bike more if you do one very inexpensive modification - swap the handlebars for something else such as the superbike bars that I have on mine. This is the best $20 or so that you'll ever spend on the bike.

My GS 1000GL

Oh yeah, and then there is that furry seatcover I made out of a $10 Wal-Mart bathroom rug - also adds a great deal to the comfort factor while protecting the original seat from the sun's rays and other damaging elements...
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2008, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                      The instrument cluster is NOT 1980, at least in the USA. I also Hate the Sissy Bar/Luggage rack/Wheelee bar combo but that is cosmetic. The price sounds OK for a solid bike with low miles. Do some reading here and check it out.
                      looks like the 550l gauges just like i got.

Comment

The one recommendation that I think everyone here would agree on, that you will enjoy the bike more if you do one very inexpensive modification - swap the handlebars for something else such as the superbike bars that I have on mine. This is the best $20 or so that you'll ever spend on the bike.
                        Well...almost everyone...

Comment

Originally posted by highmileage View Post

Oh yeah, and then there is that furry seatcover I made out of a $10 Wal-Mart bathroom rug - also adds a great deal to the comfort factor while protecting the original seat from the sun's rays and other damaging elements...
                          Man, I gotta get me one of those furry seatcover things - it is literally, the cat's a$$...
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

to buy or not to buy that is the question

first of all how old are you ? If you dont mind that is. how tall are you ? and what do you weigh ? all of these questions factor in.

Comment

Its not just about buying the Bike

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X