78 550 cylenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 550 cylenders

ok, i i have all my parts to do the top end of my 550,except... when ordering parts i didnt get 4 orings for the bottom of the cylenders. i only have 3 now the other should be here someday. anyway it looks like they dont match up with anything, they just fit around the bottom of the cylenders. maybe sealing the cast iron to the aluminum? do i even need to replace them?

how do you post a pic on here?

There should be a ring at the bottom of each cylinder where the o-ring fits. You need to dig out the old ones.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      There should be a ring at the bottom of each cylinder where the o-ring fits. You need to dig out the old ones.
      yes, but are they something that have a vital function and have to be replaced?

Comment

Yes, if they werent vital, they wouldnt be in there.
        Lesson number one on a motorcycle engine rebuild: There ARE no un-needed/extra parts...

Comment

I've heard no but I replaced mine. Suzuki put them there for some reason.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by boba View Post
            maybe sealing the cast iron to the aluminum?
            exactly

the seals are needed due to the different heat expansion rate for the two materials - and oil from the crankcase finding its way inbetween the two
            GS850GT

Comment

Working...
            X