mixture screw adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mixture screw adjustment

I have an 82GS1100EZ with the stock BS34SS carbs. Could someone please clarify which direction to turn the idle mixture screws (located on the top front of carbs) to lean out the mixture. (ie: clockwise = lean and counterclockwise = rich or vica versa)

Thanks!

davel.........you are on the right track................turning the screws in clockwise leans the mixture.

Comment

Thanks much!

Comment

Keep in mind that those screws only affect the overall mixture at and just above idle throttle openings.

That is why they are called the "idle mixture adjustment screws".

Now ... why do you feel they need to be leaned out?
        Most of our bikes were set too lean from the factory, and unless some previous owner has messed something up, we are looking for ways to richen up the mixture.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the caution. I've had this bike for many years though the original EPA plugs were removed before I got it. The engine is a little rich just at idle. Above idle, it's carburetted perfectly. Still has the stock air box and exhaust. All the screws were 5+ turns out. I just turned them back in to 3.5 - 4 and it is better. Less than 3 definitely seems too lean.

This bike has almost 40,000 miles on it and is stock (as far as I know) aside from some small oiling mods (750 pump and braided lines to the rocker shaft)and a welded clutch basket. The torque this engine makes is amazing and it spans from idle to redline. I also have a 79 KZ1000 with a 1075 kit, cams and RS34 carbs. The KZ is my project bike and I have fun with it but its taken alot of effort to get it on par with my stock GS1100E...which has to be one of the best engines ever built.

Comment

Most of us with stock bikes and jetting are running between two and three turns out on the mixture screws. Just to be sure ... are you counting full turns or half turns when you say FIVE + TURNS? Five half-turns would be 2 1/2 full turns, and that should be in the ballpark. Sounding lean with less than 3 sounds like your pilot jets might be dirty or one size too small.

Rather than go by "feel", do some plug chops so you can see what is actually happening in there.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X