rider set-up questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rider set-up questions

Just looking for some advice or suggestions please. I am a tall feller, and I am somewhat uncomfortable on my bike for rides that last more than 30 minutes or so. I get a numb feeling in my weiney. I figure I have a few options:
    1. Deal with it!!
    2. find or fab a set of forward controls. (has anyone attempted this??)
    3. find or fab a set of rear-sets (again, anyone done it?)
    4. have a new seat custom upholstered to move me back a little.

I am 6'4" and pushing 300#, and leg room is at a premium. If I can move my legs forward (like a cruiser) or backward (like a sportbike) I would be a whole lot more comfortable.

Of course any of the above options also include new bars at different heights/angles/pullback. Speaking of pullback, I have had a hard time finding any bars that have little to no pullback, yet have some rise. All of the ones I have seen from Flanders, etc. have some degree of pullback. I would love to have a set that has approx 4"-7" of rise, approx 24"-30" wide, and NO pullback. Just straight out. My wrists are killing me cuz of the awkward angle I have with my current (factory) setup. While I am at it, how bout aftermarket pegs. Any have some nice comfy ones that will bolt up?? Everytime I look in a catalog for them, I see nice ones like ISO, but they mention specific applications for specific models and years. And of course they are mostly the new cruisers. The last thing that I will ask about (for now, cuz I love to ask ??s) is what type of grips. I prefer the nice fat leather ones, but they seem to only be available for the 1" bars, and again specific applications. How can a grip be limited to just certain bikes?? I just don't wanna shell out some greenbacks for something that looks like it will fit, then doesn't.

Any help or suggestions or comments or advice is appreciated.

OK, one last thing. Is it just me, or do I whine alot??

If your bike has crash bars up front you can buy clamp on highway pegs for them. If you don't have the crash bars you can buy them with the pegs built on.

Steve

Comment

Hey Neighbor. I live just up the road in Mount Joy. I can't help you much with the parts problem except direct you to a local shop. Try BSA Motorcycles in Bainbridge. They're on the west side of 441 just a few miles north of you. They may have some idea as to where to go.

By the way what bike do you have?

Take Care,
      Dave W.
      Mount Joy Pa.

Comment

Browndog,

I will take a look at my 2001 Volusia tonight and compare it with my 650. I'm almost certain our pegs use the same type mount, if so the ISO pegs with proper adapter will fit. I even have the adapter part # for you if need be.

I'll post up tonight and let you know.

Comment

The only thing I can think of in modern bars to give rise without a pull back is to use a Broomstick Drag Bar with some handle bar risers.

The only bike I can remember ever riding with anything like that was a Laverda Jota in Italy. It had (and this is from an old memory) about a 6" rise and the bars sat almost directly in line with the triple tree. I remember when I tried it was a really strange riding position for me. But I am 5'8" and the owner of the bike was 6'2" with extra long arms.

Originally posted by herco
          Hey Neighbor. I live just up the road in Mount Joy. I can't help you much with the parts problem except direct you to a local shop. Try BSA Motorcycles in Bainbridge. They're on the west side of 441 just a few miles north of you. They may have some idea as to where to go.

By the way what bike do you have?

Take Care,
          Dave W.
          Mount Joy Pa.
          I don't know if I would go near a shop that has BSA and 441 connected with the name. It reminds me of ridding in the dirt and leaving a trail of parts that were constantly vibrating loose and falling off.

Mike

Comment

Just thought of something else as well. Harley risers will fit new suzuki's, I wonder if they'll fit old ones? If so, there are some straight risers that go from like 3" to 7" and then add some grag bars to them.

Comment

Just scoped out the Vol, and we do share the same mounts.

If you're looking at Kuryakyn, use this adapter: 7939 http://www.kuryakyn.com/graphics/products/8802.jpg

Also,

If a peg fits a 01-03 Goldwing or Volusia, it will fit your scoot. I think all Suzi's use the same mount for the front. I checked the GS rear vs. the Vol rear, and the Vol uses a tiny mount, while the GS looks the same as the front.

Hope this helps!

Comment

What about a set of Disco Volante Rearsets?

Comment

i had a problem with grips being 'too small' and making my hand sore. i just bought some replacement grips (cheap ones) from bike bandit and some 'weight lifting' gloves that have about 1/2 inch of padding on the palm, and now my palms and fingers don't get sore.

not sure if the small grip size was a problem or not, but this is the easy fix. (you can use the gloves on any bike to make the grips feel bigger)

jay

Comment

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions. I will look into those parts right away. Just some more fedback: I do have crash bars for the cases, and they have highway pegs. They are ok, just looking to make things a bit more comfy when in normal riding position. I bought the bike from BMA in Bainbridge, and it is an 82 GS1100GK. I have a pair of padded gloves (just need to find them) Thanks again everyone

Comment

By the way, just to clarify. I get numb in the heiney (my ass) not the good part 8O 8O

Comment

my height poses a similar problem, I use drag bars and the rear footpegs when cruising

Comment

Working...
                        X