Found this on Craigslist.....stunned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this on Craigslist.....stunned!

Searching for Gs's in the area, like I always do, I found this post. The person said the GS website is no help. Doesn't seem right. When I had my GS others on this site would stay with me until I got my problems fixed.
    Could it be that this person reached a dead end here? I just don't believe it...

Sounds to me like he wanted to be spoon fed the fix to his problem and didn't want to do anything to get a better idea of what the problem really was. I would guess also that he never tried the things that were told to him and just told himself that these people are just leading me on and can't help. I see it all the time on other forums. In fact, on the Datsun Z car forum you can tell when school is out because you get a bunch of kids wanting to be spoon fed the answers to why their 30+ year old car isn't running. When this guy didn't get an answer like "just connect A to B and it will run fine" that he stopped paying attention.

Comment

Yep, see these every now and then. A newbie posts up, everyone tells him to clean and sync the carbs, check the wiring to the coils, do a valve clearance check, but they don't do it and keep getting more and more angry until they leave before their 10th post. Likely to sell the bike for $150 to someone who is more inclined to listen and learn. A lot of people don't understand that you just can't pay $400 for a 30 year old bike (or car) and expect it to be perfect.

He doesn't actually mention that the GSR wasn't any help, just the Gs forum.

Comment

When he lists it for 150 dollars I'll help him out by taking it off his hands for him. Probably just a clog in the well on the carb, 30 minutes after I get it home it will be running fine.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Good riddance.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Here ya go.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

not good help

as obvioisly stated probably not someone doing it for him i have personnally recieved great info here thanks to all

Comment

gosh, looks like the posts were really helpful to me... i think your right though he wanted someone to say, "hey didn't you know these things have a super-secret-kills-cylinder-#3-switch" and have it fixed in 20sec with minimal effort.

Comment

This malcontent got a series of really sound suggestions, including the first from Chef -- 'Swap #2 and #3 leads and see if the problem follows the lead'.

If this guy had the tiniest bit of motivation, he'd have that problem solved in a few hours. If necessary, just swap coils. Overkill, but it would put this problem soundly to rest.

We don't know what kind of half-baked scheme he's using to 'determine' that it's an ignition problem to begin with. He states early on that he hasn't touched the carbs. Well, gee, the bike's only 27 years old -- it couldn't possibly be a fuel problem!

I don't have much sympathy anymore for those occasional visitors with an overinflated sense of entitlement, and I'm tired of the "Princess and the Pea" routine. I think a 'website satisfaction rating' of 99% is fine with me. The remaining 1% should probably just take the <expletive> bus anyhow.
                  and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                    This malcontent got a series of really sound suggestions, including the first from Chef -- 'Swap #2 and #3 leads and see if the problem follows the lead'.

If this guy had the tiniest bit of motivation, he'd have that problem solved in a few hours. If necessary, just swap coils. Overkill, but it would put this problem soundly to rest.

We don't know what kind of half-baked scheme he's using to 'determine' that it's an ignition problem to begin with. He states early on that he hasn't touched the carbs. Well, gee, the bike's only 27 years old -- it couldn't possibly be a fuel problem!

I don't have much sympathy anymore for those occasional visitors with an overinflated sense of entitlement, and I'm tired of the "Princess and the Pea" routine. I think a 'website satisfaction rating' of 99% is fine with me. The remaining 1% should probably just take the <expletive> bus anyhow.
                    Hi Robert,

I think you are being overly harsh here, although I understand your sentiment.

Way too many newbies around here purchase an old bike for cheap and think they can just go ride off into the sunset. Reality sets in when the bike runs like crap because it's badly in need of basic maintenance, like a proper carb rebuild (including one of your excellent O-ring kits), and clean up of all the wiring connections. Unfortunately, many of these newbies are not very technically minded and they need to be taught. I'll help anyone that shows a desire to help themselves. The thing that chaps my loins is when some newbie comes along and won't take 2 minuets to do a search to understand what they should do next. In most cases the information on what is wrong with their bike is in the archives but they are too lazy to look.

So lets try to help these people and give them the benefit of the doubt. Hard to do some times I know, but we must try.

Ed
                    Last edited by Nessism; 11-09-2008, 05:45 PM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by diante View Post
                      as obvioisly stated probably not someone doing it for him i have personnally recieved great info here thanks to all
                      Ditto for me-I've done mechanic-like things this summer I never would have tried without knowing the help was there-and fast too! Thanks to all from me. Looking forward to posting pics once its back together.

Ted

Comment

I just sent him an email encouraging him to post his entire issue on the site, after having told him how "I've lost count as to how many people have been helped here." I played "dumb" as to which "gs" site he was referring to. I say we give him one more chance to come back and actually listen to good advice...

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Flaggo60 View Post
                          Looking forward to posting pics once its back together.
                          Hey, Flaggo, we like pics of half-done projects, too.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Notice the craiglist date was way early on the 2nd of Nov (EST) and his first post about this specific issue was also early on the 9th of Nov. (EST)?

He did some work apparently, but has fought some problem or another (found new ones or from ignoring solutions) from September on.

Hate to see one leave, but if they aren't willing to do the work and think it through.....

Comment

The opposite is the guy I saw on a local craigslist looking for a bike mechanic to work on a GS850 due to what sounded like pretty basic carb issues. I told him to save his coin and head to GSR, where he'd get educated on how to fix it himself and _know_ it was done right. Got a big thank you email from him a few days later saying this site was the bomb.... which I already knew.

Comment

Working...
                              X