1981 gs-550t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs-550t

This seems strange has anyone encountered this before. I have the bike running on three cylinders only. At an idle I am getting spark on cylinder 1-2-3-4 when I increase idle or throttle up the bike at all I loose spark at number three cylinder. The bike has a 4into 1 header which was on it when purchased. I relaced the fuel petcock because the rubber check was mush. New fuel and vacuum lines. New plugs. I have jumped this bike numerous times and had charged the battery. Battery is putting out about 13.4 volts with lights on. Any help would be great. I know one of the ign. coils was changed because it says good painted on it. That's about it. I did not disassemble the carbs.

Switch the spark plug cap and see if the trouble follows.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

I've got one thought. How about new plug caps?

Now I'll have to find another thought somewhere.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Hey Bill, you're a little quicker with the clicker tonight. I thought you might go deeper though. I'm still learning about these here motorsickle things.

Hey Mr. doggies, keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Both coils are firing so that means the crank trigger works as is the igniter.
            Puts it on the wires or spark plug caps.
            Deep enough?

Comment

How can it lose spark on 3 when 2 works fine? If this is the correct info then the HT lead or cap leading to 3 is broken.
              My 550 always started on 3 cylinders and took an age to warm number 4 up.
              I listened to the experts on this site then I checked and adjusted the valve clearances and cleaned the carbs.
              Bike starts and runs like a dream now.
              GS1000G

Comment

Unless all the maintenance work on the bike is up to snuff like waltfen says, the bike will continue to run poorly for one reason or another.

You need to build a baseline by doing basic work: rebuild the carbs with fresh O-rings inside the carbs and on the intake boots, adjust the valves, clean the air filter, change the plugs, check the charging system (use the stator papers), etc.

After this work is done, you can hone in on problems much easier since you know what the problem can't be.

Don't do maintenance work and wait til the bike breaks down, and it will, and you are just guessing at what the problem will be.

Good luck.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

plug caps. and you said it came with a header. was it properly rejetted?

Comment

how did you determine there is no spark on 3?

Comment

No Spark

What I did was pull #3 plug and hold it against the head while it was running. Today I switched caps after trying to start it. I cut some plug wire off and re attached. The plug got spark but I noticed they are always carbon black and they are fresh plugs stock heat range. I clean them off with my plug blaster but they get black again. Now when I got the bike it had a header 4into 1 on it would this make a differance if the carbs were not rejetted. I really don't want to go through all that. The bike sounds good with it and is quick as well when firing on all four. Open for suggestions. Have no touched the carbs. at all.

Comment

[quote=doggies;916336]What I did was pull #3 plug and hold it against the head while it was running. Today I switched caps after trying to start it. I cut some plug wire off and re attached. The plug got spark [quote]

Are you getting a good spark now at any RPM ?

If so, that's great! Probably should give the carbs a good cleaning by using this guide.

One step at a time..........
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by doggies View Post
                          What I did was pull #3 plug and hold it against the head while it was running. Today I switched caps after trying to start it. I cut some plug wire off and re attached. The plug got spark but I noticed they are always carbon black and they are fresh plugs stock heat range. I clean them off with my plug blaster but they get black again. Now when I got the bike it had a header 4into 1 on it would this make a differance if the carbs were not rejetted. I really don't want to go through all that. The bike sounds good with it and is quick as well when firing on all four. Open for suggestions. Have no touched the carbs. at all.
                          You HAVE to go through the carbs, or you'll likely never get it running right. There are no shortcuts. There is a step by step, logical procedure for getting these old bikes running good as new. If you don't want to bother with "all that", sell it and get something newer.
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Carb. rebuild

Got spark on all 4 where is the best place to get carb. parts for an 81' GS550

Comment

Originally posted by doggies View Post
                              Got spark on all 4 where is the best place to get carb. parts for an 81' GS550
                              Now yer talkin'....

Actually, you probably won't need any parts for the carbs other than o-rings. You'll just need to completely dismantle them, thoroughly dip and clean them, then correctly reassemble them with a new o-ring set from Robert Barr. http://www.cycleorings.com/

There is an excellent tutorial linked from the main page of this site that walks you through it step by step.
                              sigpic

SUZUKI:
                              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
                              X