No announcement yet.

Rear Shock Absorber Musings....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in need of a set of shocks as well. Can someone explain why the progressive ones will not fit a shaft drive. Also my bike came with a set of Marzocci<sp> shocks. Someone told me they were rebuildable, but I can't seem to find any info anywhere about them. Is anyone familiar with them?

And lastly, just like the previos posted why are bike shocks so damned expensive??

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      Probably because they aren't made in all that great a number (no economy of scale), and they are essentially hand assembled (high labor rates) to very tight tolerances.

That's my theory anyway....
      I'll buy that.......Sure did get some sticker shock (no pun intended) when I first started looking at them.
      Thanks
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Interesting. They do look well made in the photos, at least from a fit and finish perspective.
        Probably 35 years ago I was considering a set of Redwings for my old T305. I ended up settling on a set of Girlings. From what I've read Girling is now Hagon.

Comment

Originally posted by rtrome View Post
          I'm in need of a set of shocks as well. Can someone explain why the progressive ones will not fit a shaft drive. Also my bike came with a set of Marzocci<sp> shocks. Someone told me they were rebuildable, but I can't seem to find any info anywhere about them. Is anyone familiar with them?

And lastly, just like the previos posted why are bike shocks so damned expensive??
          With deep roots in the foundation of performance MTB suspension, Marzocchi shocks and forks keep you riding longer with minimal maintenance. Our bombproof designs ensure you're on the trail while others are stuck at home waiting for their parts to get serviced.

Comment

Yes, I have seen that site but there is not much info for motorcycles. It appears they only have front forks for superbikes.

Comment

Originally posted by rtrome View Post

Those shocks on ebay are eye to clevis mount, you need eye to eye for the GS650, 850, 100, and 1100G models.

Depending upon your exact model, you may also need a length greater than 13".
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

You're a contributor!

Hey Mr. Griffin,

That's a nice bit of research and compilation. If you don't mind, I'm going to add this information to my mega-welcome page. Thanks!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

The front end is pretty simple, Progressive brand springs and fresh 15W fork oil. The rear end isn't so simple.

Most of these brands are also available in eye to eye configuration in different lengths for other twin shock GS models as well. The options are arranged in order of price, low to high.

1. $65-$90 Emgo/MDI: Found all over ebay, and at about every vendor on the internet. General consensus of users seems to be that they are ok quality, but very stiffly sprung. Essentially the bare minimum option from stock.

2. $120 Redwing: Evidently no longer made, they are still available at www.loudfastugly.com . I've not been able to find anyone who's actually used them, but they appear to be of halfway decent quality.

3. $210-$230 Progressive 12 Series: Lots of information here and all over the web about them. Most people seem happy with them, several different spring weights available. Available at most online retailers. www.denniskirk.com is a vendor I have had great luck with over the years.

4. $218-$270 Hagon Type A: Seem very similar to Progressive 12 series as far as owner satisfaction, quality of construction, and price. Available in the USA at www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

5. $320-$400+ Ikon 76 Series: Generally pretty highly regarded, lots of options available. From what I've read on the internet, they do seem to be more highly regarded than Progressive. Can be found at http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

6. $419-$589 Works Performance Steel Tracker: Very highly regarded, lots of positive reviews around the internet of Works Performance in general. Customer service (including rebuilding any brand of shock) is very highly rated. More info at http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

There are other options available that are more expensive, including offerings from Works, Ikon, Ohlins, White Brothers, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hey Mr. Griffin,

That's a nice bit of research and compilation. If you don't mind, I'm going to add this information to my mega-welcome page. Thanks!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Ooh boy, I get to be a contributor!

'Bout time I came up with something useful, I suppose.....
                  sigpic

SUZUKI:
                  1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                  HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                  KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                  YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Well, since I've decided to keep the 750E for the foreseeable future, suspension upgrades are urgently needed. The front end is pretty simple, Progressive brand springs and fresh 15W fork oil. The rear end isn't so simple.

I've done a lot of searching here over the past couple of days, and consulted one of the local site techies about my mission. I've decided a couple things for my particular situation:

- Total cost for a pair of shocks and springs must be under $500 (preferably considerably under).

- Shocks must be rebuildable.

I've found lots of threads with bits of advice here and there, but it took a long time. I thought I'd condense much of the information into one thread.

These options are for 13" eye to clevis shocks that will fit the following GS models:

'78-'82 GS750/750E
                    '78-'80 GS1000C/N/E/S
                    '80-'83 GS1100E/S/ES

Most of these brands are also available in eye to eye configuration in different lengths for other twin shock GS models as well. The options are arranged in order of price, low to high.

1. $65-$90 Emgo/MDI: Found all over ebay, and at about every vendor on the internet. General consensus of users seems to be that they are ok quality, but very stiffly sprung. Essentially the bare minimum option from stock.

2. $120 Redwing: Evidently no longer made, they are still available at www.loudfastugly.com . I've not been able to find anyone who's actually used them, but they appear to be of halfway decent quality.

3. $210-$230 Progressive 12 Series: Lots of information here and all over the web about them. Most people seem happy with them, several different spring weights available. Available at most online retailers. www.denniskirk.com is a vendor I have had great luck with over the years.

4. $218-$270 Hagon Type A: Seem very similar to Progressive 12 series as far as owner satisfaction, quality of construction, and price. Available in the USA at www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

5. $320-$400+ Ikon 76 Series: Generally pretty highly regarded, lots of options available. From what I've read on the internet, they do seem to be more highly regarded than Progressive. Can be found at http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

6. $419-$589 Works Performance Steel Tracker: Very highly regarded, lots of positive reviews around the internet of Works Performance in general. Customer service (including rebuilding any brand of shock) is very highly rated. More info at http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

There are other options available that are more expensive, including offerings from Works, Ikon, Ohlins, White Brothers, etc.... Unfortunately, these are out of my budget.

I hope this helps some folks who are looking to replace their shocks. If I've missed something in my price range, please, by all means, post the info so that we can all learn more.

Thanks.
                    I can personally recommend the hagons, they will will supply them with custom spring rates according to your weight or if you want to optimise for pillion use. But they don't have adjustable damping, although probably an unnecessary luxury.

The ikons are a direct copy of the highly regarded but no longer made Koni shocks that came with the 'dial-a-ride' adjustable damping. I believe Ikon bought the manufacturing rights but weren't allowed to use the name, hence the anagram.

The generic ebay shocks (oxon, hogon, ikan, pergressive ) should be avoided. The spring rates are fine, they look nice, but the damping is pants, particularly the compression damping which is unbelieveably stiff and makes for a very uncomfortable ride.

I think anything more expensive than the ikons would be a waste of money on a standard road going GS.

Comment

Those shocks on ebay are eye to clevis mount, you need eye to eye for the GS650, 850, 100, and 1100G models.

Depending upon your exact model, you may also need a length greater than 13".
                      The 850G/GL, 1000G/GL, and 1100G/GL all take 13" (330mm) eye-to-eye shocks. The mounting studs or bolts on the frame and swingarm are 12mm.

The 650G/GL models vary a bit in length, but they're also easily available.

I'm contemplating slightly longer shock bodies on my 850G just so the furshlugginger axle will clear the farshimelt exhaust when it's time for new tires. Aaaaarrrgggghhh... I hate taking the shocks loose just to get the axle out. Didn't anyone at Suzuki think of this when they designed the bikes?
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Interesting your expletives about shocks for Japanese bikes are in German.
                        1979 GS 1000

Comment

I'll put my vote in that the Progressive's are a nice bump up over the worn stock shocks and allow you to select the right spring rate for your body weight and riding (1-up or 2-up) pattern.

I wonder how IndyBob is doing with my ultra heavy-duty springs? He weighed a good 100lbs less than me.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
                            Interesting your expletives about shocks for Japanese bikes are in German.
                            Mangled Yiddish, actually. Borrowed from old issues of Mad Magazine. I had no idea what Yiddish was or why it was in Mad Magazine until I was a grown-up, but how can you forget a word like furshlugginger?
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Get a V&H pipe.. it's short enough that you can get it out fine. Still access the drain plug & filter too.

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

How about Cheng Shin?

This is a way low price, more compatible with my budget.
                                Cheng Shin Adjustable Shocks at jcwhitney.com, only $95.
                                Does anybody have these on their bike?
                                Let us know.
                                Bill
                                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X