No announcement yet.

Rear Shock Absorber Musings....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering how much play in length you have when putting on new shocks? I have a 82 gs650L what lengths could I put on and be safe. I guess I mean not change the steering to much? I was wondering if they was a way to check what shocks from different bikes might fit each other ?

Comment

Finding info, not so hard

Originally posted by scrapper View Post
      I was wondering how much play in length you have when putting on new shocks? I have a 82 gs650L what lengths could I put on and be safe. I guess I mean not change the steering to much? I was wondering if they was a way to check what shocks from different bikes might fit each other ?
      There is some play room, 1 inch may be getting excessive. As for comparing parts, I go to bikebandit.com and look up my bike and part, then look up another bike to compare the part numbers.
      Bill
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        This is a way low price, more compatible with my budget.
        Cheng Shin Adjustable Shocks at jcwhitney.com, only $95.
        Does anybody have these on their bike?
        Let us know.
        Bill
        Going by the pic., those appear to be the same shocks that are also sold under the MDI, Emgo etc. names. If they are indeed re-badged Emgo items, they can be had for less than the JC Whitney advertised Cheng Shin price, in their other 'incarnations'.

Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          Well, since I've decided to keep the 750E for the foreseeable future, suspension upgrades are urgently needed. The front end is pretty simple, Progressive brand springs and fresh 15W fork oil. The rear end isn't so simple.

I've done a lot of searching here over the past couple of days, and consulted one of the local site techies about my mission. I've decided a couple things for my particular situation:

- Total cost for a pair of shocks and springs must be under $500 (preferably considerably under).

- Shocks must be rebuildable.

I've found lots of threads with bits of advice here and there, but it took a long time. I thought I'd condense much of the information into one thread.

These options are for 13" eye to clevis shocks that will fit the following GS models:

'78-'82 GS750/750E
          '78-'80 GS1000C/N/E/S
          '80-'83 GS1100E/S/ES

Most of these brands are also available in eye to eye configuration in different lengths for other twin shock GS models as well. The options are arranged in order of price, low to high.

1. $65-$90 Emgo/MDI: Found all over ebay, and at about every vendor on the internet. General consensus of users seems to be that they are ok quality, but very stiffly sprung. Essentially the bare minimum option from stock.

2. $120 Redwing: Evidently no longer made, they are still available at www.loudfastugly.com . I've not been able to find anyone who's actually used them, but they appear to be of halfway decent quality.

3. $210-$230 Progressive 12 Series: Lots of information here and all over the web about them. Most people seem happy with them, several different spring weights available. Available at most online retailers. www.denniskirk.com is a vendor I have had great luck with over the years.

4. $218-$270 Hagon Type A: Seem very similar to Progressive 12 series as far as owner satisfaction, quality of construction, and price. Available in the USA at www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

5. $320-$400+ Ikon 76 Series: Generally pretty highly regarded, lots of options available. From what I've read on the internet, they do seem to be more highly regarded than Progressive. Can be found at http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

6. $419-$589 Works Performance Steel Tracker: Very highly regarded, lots of positive reviews around the internet of Works Performance in general. Customer service (including rebuilding any brand of shock) is very highly rated. More info at http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

There are other options available that are more expensive, including offerings from Works, Ikon, Ohlins, White Brothers, etc.... Unfortunately, these are out of my budget.

I hope this helps some folks who are looking to replace their shocks. If I've missed something in my price range, please, by all means, post the info so that we can all learn more.

Thanks.
          Brett,

This was from over a year ago, did you ever upgrade the rears and what did you go with?

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
            Brett,

This was from over a year ago, did you ever upgrade the rears and what did you go with?
            I know the answer, but I'll let Brett fill you in himself. It's pretty interesting, actually...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'm afraid of Ikons. The new Konis I bought for my Atlas rusted on the shafts, and blew out. The Koni strut inserts I put in my Cortina GT blew and pumped out all the oil.

Paid a premium for what turned out to be junk

My RD and one of the GS1000G's have Hagons, and they are OK so far. Less harsh than Girlings

I sure miss S&W

The ones on my '75 Commando have been on there for more than 30 years
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Ikon and Koni Shocks

Dear Mr 850,

Ikons and Koni's are different beasts, sort of.

A company called Proven Products in Australia bought the design to the KONI bike stuff (ONLY the bike stuff) in 2000 when Koni decided to stop making them. They kept the design so closely that when I started overhauling my 25year old Koni's (7610-1394) the current production orings and seals are still the ones to use.
                But, in doing my rebuild I went to the local suspension guru who rebuilds them and had the parts available over the counter, and looked at a set of new (Ikon) ones and the new Australian made ones are a total class above what Koni made, the finish is good enough to stick in a glass case as a trophy.

As for the car stuff, probably made in China, totally different kettle of fish.

Check out http://www.ikonsuspension.com/ for the full story.

Best Regards

Mike

Comment

Yeah i got a set of Koni's 2nd hand on ebay about a year or so ago. They were definitely older than the six month's which was advertised (probably ten times that) I still paid a premium - $250 AUD from memory for used shocks but almost half what I got quoted by Ikon for the equivalent.

They still look and ride like new (except for slightly deteriorated rubber dampers), and the difference in handling over old stock shocks is remarkable.
                  1979 GS750E

Comment

I am looking for good ways to improve the handling on my 1100E so I am bumping this thread back to the top. It would interesting to hear Brett's followup on what he got and how they worked out.
                    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I had some leaking Works shocks on my 850 when I got it. Took them in to get rebuilt at Works Factory. Was told they had internal cracks & were not repairable!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X