Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuelcock position for winter storage

hi all....
    Do i place fuelcock handle on the on position? I understand that is the normal position, but am putting the bike away of the winter, so looking for advice.
    My bike is the 1981 GS1000L.
    Just trying to get a handle on all things new to me in the bike world.
    thx
    Rick

When putting the bike away from the winter, I like to fill up the tank all the way, add Stabil to the tank, then remove the tank from the bike and drain the gas from the float bowls on the carbs. That way you're sure to keep the gas fresh over the winter, keep any rust from forming in the tank, and keep the carbs sludge-free since there's no gas to evaporate and leave varnish behind.

Comment

For the bikes that I winterize, I add Stabil or Seafoam to the tank (usually about double the recommended dose), ride to the gas station (1/2 mile away), fill the tank, come back home. That gives the treated gas a chance to get all the way through the carb circuits. When the bike is parked (on the center stand), I connect the Schumacher charger/maintainer and forget about it. I do not remove the gas tank, and I leave the petcock in the ON position. I do change the oil and filter.

On my bike, I don't know what I do to winterize it, as I have never done it. If it's not slick out there, I will likely ride.
      I have seen more than one snowflake bounce off the windshield on the way home from work.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

From the Suzuki GS1000E Owners Manual

STORAGE

For the long term storage of your motorcycle the following steps must be carried out after the motorcycle is thoroughly cleaned.

1. Run the engine for a few minuets, and drain the engine oil

2. Empty the fuel tank and spray oil to the inside of the tank.

3. Drain the gasoline from each carburetor by inscrewing the drain screws.

4. Remove the spark plugs and feed in several drops of engine oil through each plug hole. Turn over crankshaft slowly a number of times and reinstall the spark plugs.

5. Spray oil to the exposed surfaces; be careful not to wet brake parts with oil. Avoid spraying on nonmetal and painted parts.

6. Remove battery and store it in a dry and cool place (not in freezing place).

7. Deflate the tires about 20 - 30% and block up the engine to keep the tires off the ground.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

To actually answer your question, simply leave the petcock in the normal "on" position.

On is off unless the engine is on. Got that?

For some reason, the topic of winter storage attracts a wide variety of opinions.

Draining the tank is inconvenient and dangerous, so most people simply fill the tank, treat with Sta-Bil, then either run the bike long enough to get the treated gas into the carbs or drain the carbs.

Starting it up without riding it at least 20 miles is pointless and potentially harmless, although a lot of people do that regularly for some reason.

Or you could just ride the thing at least once a week all winter.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            From the Suzuki GS1000E Owners Manual

STORAGE ...
            Yeah, but what do they know?

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Starting it up without riding it at least 20 miles is pointless and potentially harmless, although a lot of people do that regularly for some reason.

Or you could just ride the thing at least once a week all winter.
            My phiolosophy, exactly. That is why my bike has not been winterized.

I have no problem with the concept of winterizing a bike, but I ride so often during the cold months that I would spend a small fortune on gas stabilizer keeping the tank treated 'just in case' I had to park it for a while.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have had my GS for several years now as well as my RM125, (dirt bike) my lt500, (quad) and my beartracker (quad). I never winterize any of them. I park them when I am done riding them in the fall, and fire them up when I am ready to ride in the spring. I am not saying this is the right thing to do but I have never had any problems.
              Just my $.02

Comment

It would be nice get out every couple of weeks in the winter but us folk up here in lake effect snow country unfortunately have to take them down. I fill the tank up with Stabil, drain the carbs and cry until spring.
                82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I would rather leave the sta-bilized gas in the carbs to prevent any drying of the rubber o rings or the float bowl gasket. Just my own opinion. If I am wrong, someone needs to let me know but that is all I have done for my 30+ years of owning bikes.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

You can run StaBil thru the carbs but its not a %100 gaurantee. To be sure that your bike will run in the springtime, be sure to drain the carbs. Still use the full tank with fuel stabilizer, but drain em. Some gaskets, mainly ones on Hondas, have a tendency to leak fuel when returned to service. 9 times out of 10 they will swell up when exposed to gasoline and stop leaking. As for batteries.. check the water level (if applicable) and get a Battery Tender. Plug it in and forget it. You wont have to buy a battery every 2 years.

Comment

Remove main feed pipe, leave tap on "on",
                      If it leaks over winter, you'll be needing a new crank, trust me, been there!

Comment

Working...
                      X