No announcement yet.

Wheel Balancing: Weights or Beads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed the front tire on my 750ES tonight and just for kicks I balanced the wheel alone first - took 80 fUk'n grams! Wheel spins smooth as silk with no apparent runout or wobble so I think this particular wheel is just a POS. Installed the Avon Roadrider and it took no additional weight. Good tire and crappy wheel.
    Last edited by Nessism; 11-11-2008, 01:17 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I think that balancing the wheel without the tire is definitely the way to go. If you hadn't done that first, you might have broken the tire down, rotated it a bit and tried again. And again, and again, and never gotten it to balance with less than 80g. By doing the wheel first, you at least know whether it's the wheel or the tire.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I think that balancing the wheel without the tire is definitely the way to go. If you hadn't done that first, you might have broken the tire down, rotated it a bit and tried again. And again, and again, and never gotten it to balance with less than 80g. By doing the wheel first, you at least know whether it's the wheel or the tire.

True that!

Do you think 80 grams is too much weight?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That's just over 2 1/2 ounces. Seems high, but if that's what it takes, ...

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

For those who have gotten the Dynabead religion, how big a pain in the butt are they to deal with when you change tires?
            I've changed tires on tubed tires with beads and it's nothing. I haven't had to do my tubeless tires yet. I don't see the big deal though. It seems like it would be easier than making a homemade tire balancer.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              I’d spin the tire; I’m not a fan of foreign material inside the tire/tube.

How much weight did you try anyway? The factory manual lists an allowance but I don’t recall what it is off the top of my head. As long as you are inside the allowance, you should be fine.

Good luck.
              I tried balancing with the following weights: the rectangular stick on is only 7 grams and the the spring loaded one is not marked but is probably 20 grams? I called the local Suzuki dealer yesterday and the only wheel weight the stock is the rectangular glue on type. I prefer the S/S spring loaded wheel weight which attaches to the wheels raised lip shown on the right, I used to have one that was approximately 2" long but its MIA. Does anyone know where I can purchase the spring loaded wheel weight?

TIA

Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                It seems like it would be easier than making a homemade tire balancer.
                Did you see my post above? How hard is it to support your wheel with your axle on a pair of jack stands?

Even I can manage that.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

In the time it took me to get all of that stuff out and set up, I could have poured all of the beads in to the air stem and been on my merry way.

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                    Nobody has a source or used the spring loaded wheel weights on the right?
                    Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                      Nobody has a source or used the spring loaded wheel weights on the right?
                      You can order them from Suzuki -- they're on the wheel fiches in increments of 10, 20, and 30 grams.

55411-45100
                      BALANCER (20G)

55412-45100
                      BALANCER (30G)

55413-45100
                      BALANCER (10G)

I believe these are the one-sided weights, though. Not sure where the two-sided weights come from.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Not sure where the two-sided weights come from.
                        I have several of the two-sided weights that were installed by Tires Unlimited on previous tire changes there. Not sure if they would sell them seperately. I have not tried to buy any because of the size of the stash I have right now.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                        X