Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

have you ever took the snap rings out of a CV carb slide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have you ever took the snap rings out of a CV carb slide?

Just thought I would let everyone know its a pain. I tried several different kinds of snap ring pliers to get them out and attempted home made stuff and scribs to pull them out...all were a no go. It is over a inch and half down inside the slide to the snap ring. Go to NAPA...they have a set that will work. I tried half dozen places until I found one that would work. This is not important unless you are putting on a stage 1,2 or 3 kit and you have to remove the needles. Just something that ya need to keep in the back of your mind until you need it one day. 8)

I just use an old pair of needle nose pliers with the tips filed down slightly; works great.

Comment

me too a pair of fine needle nose work great
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I tried the needle nose plier thing as well, but was still irritated with them slipping too often. I bought the craftsman snap ring pliers, and ground down the sides to fit inside the slide. It has made my life much easier.

Comment

While we're on the subject, is there any adjustment possible on the needles in the cv carbs? I ask because I'm thinking of putting pod filters on my bike. I know cv carbs and pods aren't a match made in heaven, swapping main jets isn't a problem, but I'd like to know if anything can be done to boost the mid range.

Comment

You can put little washers under the clip on the needle to raise it. But...
            Buy the jet kit https://secure.oc-net.com/ecomm/kn/jf.cfm it's cheap, and it gives you a good starting point, as well as adjustable needles.

Comment

Go to the K&N site....they are selling out all thier dyno jet kits... I got 2 for the 1150`s...think they were around 35 bucks each...thats a heck of a deal!

Comment

BTW the napa pliers need nothing..they work as is.

Comment

Does one jet kit cover all the carbs?

Comment

yes

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
                      BTW the napa pliers need nothing..they work as is.
                      Now you tell me. i just found the snap ring in the driveway this morning. It went sailing 2 days ago. I drove all over kingdom come to get a replacement and also ground the devil out of my brothers needle nose pliers. They worked better before I ground them down

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                        You can put little washers under the clip on the needle to raise it. But...
                        Buy the jet kit https://secure.oc-net.com/ecomm/kn/jf.cfm it's cheap, and it gives you a good starting point, as well as adjustable needles.
                        You can also put washers on the top to lower the needle if necessary.

Comment

Scotty: You'll be happy you have those snap ring pliers around when you decide to rebuild your master cylinder. There's a tricky one in there too.

Steve

Comment

If your CV carbs don't have notches in the jet needles, and they
                            are like mine (1980 GS1000L) putting spacers beneath the clip
                            doesn't do anything but increase tension on the spring beneath it!!!!!!!
                            IT DOESN"T CHANGE THE NEEDLE AT ALL!!!
                            CAPS for emphasis not yelling

I know I'm going to have people argue with me on this one
                            but it's true. Putting a spacer above the needle clip and under the nylon spacer does indeed lower the jet needle.
                            If you want to raise the needle, you must remove the nylon spacer
                            on top and measure the thickness of it and then determine
                            how high you want to raise the Jet needle. Replace the nylon spacer with shims that will be thinner than the nylon spacer. The difference
                            in the thickness between the nylon spacer and the shim(s) that you've
                            used will be the distance you've raised the needle.
                            I believe .04" is equal to 1 notch, so you can go from there.

If I didn't explain this well then email me and I'll try to explain it better
                            Peace
                            Mo

Comment

You're absolutly right, I just never really thought about it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Working...
                              X