Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argh! Can't remove lower steering bearing race!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used a 'ladyfinger'. Took about 4 hits with the hammer and fell out.

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01 View Post
      I used a 'ladyfinger'. Took about 4 hits with the hammer and fell out.
      What's a ladyfinger?

Comment

This:

I used the curved part and hooked into the lower race, then with a hammer and a extension, through the top, smacked it and 4 hits later it was out. Took all of less than a minute.

Comment

looks like an extended railroad spike

Comment

I do not know what the 'technical' name for them are, but I have always heard them called 'ladyfingers'. Sort of a pry bar, and have always had one or two around in a toolbox. the head works real good getting into that spot on the bottom of the neck that is slightly wider, and like i said, 4 hits and it was out!

Comment

My first master mechanic called them "lady foot" pry bars. Actually you didn't need to know the proper name. You just went on the tool truck, pointed and said "gimmie those".

Everything on the tool truck was the same price. Twenty bucks a week for the rest of your life......

Comment

I don't know if it is even possible for this application having never changed these bearings, but I have removed bearing cups before in other machinery by running a bead of weld on the inside of the bearing cup. When it cools, it shrinks the cup by a few thousandeths of an inch and it will just about fall out. Like I say, it may not work or be safe for this application.

Comment

Originally posted by NICK! View Post
                  Twenty bucks a week for the rest of your life......

I remember that truck...

I modified a solid steel shaft (about the size of a motor mount) by grinding a small notch near the end. The notch let the shaft slip slightly into the gap above the race. Push the shaft away on top and strike solidly. It's worked every time.

Comment

Working...
                  X