carb boot(s) bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb boot(s) bad?

Please forgive me for extended absence. No excuses (I have plenty!).

My buddy and I found a 1980 550E(T) at a local shop that the owner thought had bent valves because he thought it was 'over-revved'. Compression was fine, good spark, and it REALLY wanted to run with some ether, and after lots of messing around, all spark plugs were DRY...so into the Carbs, as usual.

I gave them a thorough cleaning, returned the airscrews to about 1 and a third and re mounted them.

Not bad ! Clearly almost there (lots of power), but the engine didn't want to stop revving, and kept creeping up. My buddy reminded that this is classic boot o-ring fail. Well, YES, and I found the lower screw on #2 LOOSE!

I replaced all, but some of the rubber around the metal on the flange cracked off during the job (more than one of them). One re-mounted, the problem is just as bad or worse!

Can the air be venting through the boots (NOT at the head, and not at the carb clamp). Flanges are well sealed to the head (with new allen bolts), and the carbs are nicely secured in the boots.

Did you replace the o-ring behind the boots?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yes, boot o-rings new

I found perfect fit at ACE, 3mm thick, and I think it was 48mm OD. They fill the recess and protrude about a mm. Clearly sealed (new allen bolts, across).

Comment

Spray some ether on the boots and see if the rpms rise.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The hardware store o-rings will quickly crumble -- they can't withstand the heat of the cylinder head. You'll need Viton o-rings.

That may not be the current problem, since it'll take a little while for them to go.

What's on the other side of the carbs? In other words, how are the airbox boots and the airbox?
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Those O rings probably won't last because they should be the Viton material.

I'd just get the correct O rings from Robert -cycleorings.com (plus the ones for the carbs if you didn't do that)

and some new intake boots and be done with it.

I know, it's not cheap, but how much fiddling around do you want to do?? Those O rings will deteriorate and you'll have more problems.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              That may not be the current problem, since it'll take a little while for them to go.
              What's on the other side of the carbs? In other words, how are the airbox boots and the airbox?
              The rubber boots that are clamped onto both sides of the carbs are supple, probably OK (no cracks either). I think you are right about the new o-rings between the head and boots (OK for now, but will need to be replaced).

Thefact that the revs are creeping upward and won't settle down after rev must mean air is getting in on the high vacuum side, rather than the low vacuum side (airbox). But I think the carbs are snug on those boots as well. About ~$100 for a set of boots, though I'd like to make it work with a sealant before making the diagnosis. Must be a way to seal them from the outside for testing purposes. Any ideas for the right stuff? Silicon?
              Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2008, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                ...some new intake boots and be done with it.

I know, it's not cheap, but how much fiddling around do you want to do?? Those O rings will deteriorate and you'll have more problems.
                Yes, that would probably fix it, but I don't want to put much money into this before we are sure it is worth the investment. It is pretty close.

Comment

i made a temporary repair on intake boots with an industrial grade clear silicone. basically caulk. then i covered that with black liquid tape mostly for looks. it works but i really don't expect it to last. should be enough to get any other problems figured out.
                  2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                  82 gs1100L probably the next project
                  1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                  1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
                  https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

Some silicones can easily handle the temperature, and a few will even be OK with a bit of exposure to gasoline. They fail under physical stress. In other words, you'll probably be fine for the test, but you want to go to fluorocarbon rubber (trademarks are Fluorel and Viton) as soon as reasonably possible.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                    X