Sunline Grand Touring Grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunline Grand Touring Grips

Just bought a pair of Sunline Grand Touring Grips. The outside edge (bar end or top of picture below) of each grip has a kind of pointed flange. When I install the grip this flange could be pointed forward or rearward or facing up or down. Anyone have any experience on which is the best way to orient this flange for best performance or most comfort?

A friend has them on his Gold Wing and he mounted them "**** up", says it's nice on the long trips...keeps his hands right where they belong.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      A friend has them on his Gold Wing and he mounted them "**** up", says it's nice on the long trips...keeps his hands right where they belong.
      Thanks Dave8338. I get the "up" part, but what is the "****" part about?

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
        Thanks Dave8338. I get the "up" part, but what is the "****" part about?
        Teets but spelled with an i. The language filter here, is somewhat judgemental.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
          Teets but spelled with an i. The language filter here, is somewhat judgemental.....
          Well, I got a pretty good chuckle out of that! Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Hi Greg,

I have had those on my bikes since 1994. Are great, not only because they are larger diameter but beccause they are contoured and because they are softer, take less effort to hold throttle in position. And I got a set within weeks of getting this GK.

I have always thought that tab should be down or foward when throttle in at speed position. THis is so little finger can feel where the end of the grip is. THat is because there are often times That I lift the palm of my hand off the throttle and have only thumb and fingers on throttle while making adjustment and then grab back on.

(although that tab was cut off when I installed the grips on my GK to make way for the bar end weights).

Last edited by Redman; 11-11-2008, 09:33 PM.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I just got the grips on and they look great. Helps that they are at the end of new Daytona bars I'll post some pics soon.

Now I'm going to install bar-end mirrors. I'm wondering...can I just drill a hole in the end of the grip or am I going to have cut the whole end off the grip?

Any suggestions?

Comment

I just got the grips on and they look great. Helps that they are at the end of new Daytona bars I'll post some pics soon.

Now I'm going to install bar-end mirrors. I'm wondering...can I just drill a hole in the end of the grip or am I going to have cut the whole end off the grip?

Any suggestions?
                You can make a hole in the grip. Mind you if the grip has a angular end, you'll likely have to cut it off. If its flat tho, you can simply make the hole large enough to get the BEM bolt thru. You might have to move the throttle assembly slightly inboard of the very end of the bar however, as sometimes the mirror assembly will catch on the grip and make it feel sticky...You'll see what i mean...

Comment

I'm very happy with the new bars and grips. Here is a pic

big difference between the old and new

Comment

I'm very happy with the new bars and grips. Here is a pic

big difference between the old and new

Makes a HUGE difference in the way the bike FEELS when handling IMO, and it makes for a sportier posture when on the bike. Plus, they simply LOOK cooler...LOL

Comment

Greg, you will really like the new Daytona bars. I am not sure how much the bar end mirrors are but I ended up getting the round OEM mirrors for the 81 1000E model for my 1000 and they are longer mirrors than the L OEM's so you can see and I also installed Maniac bar ends. To cut through end the grips and throttle tube I scored the grip rubber with a utility knife in a circle and then drilled it with a wood boring bit the size of the inner pipe diameter using VERY light pressure to almost shave through the rubber and then through the plastic from the throttle tube. Vacuum the shavings out and you should be good to go. Have you done anything on tires yet? Tim
                      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                      AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Tim! Good to hear from you.

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
                        Greg, you will really like the new Daytona bars.
                        I hope so! Can't wait to get finish up and take if for a ride.

To cut through end the grips and throttle tube I scored the grip rubber with a utility knife in a circle and then drilled it with a wood boring bit the size of the inner pipe diameter using VERY light pressure to almost shave through the rubber and then through the plastic from the throttle tube. Vacuum the shavings out and you should be good to go.
                        Thanks for the info. I've been trying to figure out the best way to do this. I was thinking about sharpening the end of the stock bar with a Dremel and files, putting the grip on, and hitting it with a rubber hammer to cut the grip. That, however will be a huge pain the butt.

Have you done anything on tires yet?
                        Not yet. I'm waiting for Joe's tire party. If I recall from last year it was early in the Spring. That works for me because I need to save for the tires anyway.

Comment

For BEM's I used a set of mirrors intended for a bicycle. They are Third Eye brand and don't look out of place at all. They are about $12 at bicycle shops and are well made with a wide range of adjustment. The mirrors are optically very good.
                          Whether it’s a hiking trip or a small ride around the block, the need for cycling mirrors is undeniable. Here is all you must know about cycling mirrors
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-14-2008, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I've been using Grand Touring grips for many years on my 850's and my GK, which I recently sold to TheCafeKid.

I've been quite satisfied with these grips, which have ribs that make for just the right degree of friction, glove to grip. They also bulge in the middle, which is good for people with large hands.

I've worn out several sets of these. Well worth the money.

The Venture's stock grips are very good, so I haven't had the urge to replace them with a Grand Touring set. Maybe some day I'll go back to these.

Comment

I absolutely LOVE these grips.

However, they're pretty thick and block about half the heat from my Symtec grip heaters.

So I switch the grips on my VX800 twice a year -- thin "normal" gel grips in the winter, thick wonderful comfy Sunlines in the spring and summer.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X