No announcement yet.

Sunline Grand Touring Grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the felt comfy initially on the GK, but they seemed to make my hands fall asleep....Dunno if it was the bulge in the middle or what..I didnt care for em personally...

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      I absolutely LOVE these grips.
      I can't decide about the grips yet. I had to cut a good bit off the end to get the bar-end mirrors to mount correctly. And the Cramp-Buster does not appear to work on them. Not sure if I will need it or not.

I also installed the 1/4 turn throttle mod, so maybe between the new throttle sleeve and grips I'll be ok without the Cramp-Buster.

If I decide I don't like them I'll just go stock. I already have the R1 grip for the throttle side. I guess I could just get the left-hand side and be good to go.

When you switch between grips, do you use grip glue? I've been using electrical parts cleaner spray to slip mine on and compressed air to remove them. I've put them on and taken them off a dozen time while I work out all the fitment issues. I planed to use grip glue once everything was settled but I suspect that once I do that my only option will be to cut them off.

Also, I'm having a little trouble with throttle cables now that I installed the new bars. I think I'll start a new thread for that discussion.

Thanks for all the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
        I can't decide about the grips yet. I had to cut a good bit off the end to get the bar-end mirrors to mount correctly. And the Cramp-Buster does not appear to work on them. Not sure if I will need it or not.

I also installed the 1/4 turn throttle mod, so maybe between the new throttle sleeve and grips I'll be ok without the Cramp-Buster.

If I decide I don't like them I'll just go stock. I already have the R1 grip for the throttle side. I guess I could just get the left-hand side and be good to go.

When you switch between grips, do you use grip glue? I've been using electrical parts cleaner spray to slip mine on and compressed air to remove them. I've put them on and taken them off a dozen time while I work out all the fitment issues. I planed to use grip glue once everything was settled but I suspect that once I do that my only option will be to cut them off.

Also, I'm having a little trouble with throttle cables now that I installed the new bars. I think I'll start a new thread for that discussion.

Thanks for all the comments.
        I use hairspray for fitting them. That grip glue works GREAT, if you're sure that you'll never need to take them off and want to reuse them. Hairspray works really well, and you can actually re-use the grip if you need to take it off for whatever.

As far as your cable issues go, without looking at the bike, i couldnt tell you. Sorry i couldnt be of any assistance there...

TCK

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          I thought the felt comfy initially on the GK, but they seemed to make my hands fall asleep....Dunno if it was the bulge in the middle or what..I didnt care for em personally...
          Agreed...I tried a set for a couple of weeks and my hands kept going numb.
          I didn't like the shape either, and I have fairly large hands.
          Got a nice set of gel type grips and love them.

So I've got a set of Sunlines that are like new if anyone wants them, free for the shipping. Just PM me.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

What? Not everyone ADORES their Sunline grips? How dare you?

Anyway, they're just one of those things you have to try.

I always use hair spray as grip adhesive -- the cheapest, nastiest, stiffest 1950's bouffant glue gunk you can find. The more expensive hair spray doesn't work nearly as well -- stay away from anything with "silk" or "conditioners", or "flexible hold" or anything like that. Douse the grips inside, stick 'em on the bars (quickly!), then blast a shot of compressed air under the grips to dry the hair spray instantly.

When it's time to remove them, work a bit of brake cleaner or WD-40 underneath and work them off. Once in a while, one does gets stuck and you have to cut it off, so keep a spare set of grips around.

And just to reassure the Nervous Purvis types, I've ridden thousands and thousands of miles in extremely crappy weather, and not once has a grip slipped that I've put on with hair spray.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Greg, if the Sunlines do not work out for you I have a set of these grips and they are mighty comfy. I have tried the Sunlines and they were also a little too thick in the middle for me. The shape of these grips is similar to the Sunlines but they are thinner, tacky. and the perfect length for the OEM size throttle tube. The end material is not very thick and the bar ends mounted easily with plenty of bite into the handlebar. These grips also will work with the crampbuster. I do not have grip heaters but these are thin enough I am sure they would work nicely. They are not the cheapest grips around but I have been happy with them.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
              81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
              83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
              06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
              AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
                ...I have a set of these grips and they are mighty comfy...http://www.randakks.com/Grips.htm
                Thanks Tim! I book marked the site. I'll try them after the Sunlines.

Comment

Working...
                X