what sprocket ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what sprocket ?

my 84 gs1150es has a 42 tooth rear sprocket on it. it sure does seem low geared on the fwy. the engine is at 4,200 rpm at 65 mph. how many teeth on the stock rear sprocket ? thanks.

Originally posted by not a biker View Post
    my 84 gs1150es has a 42 tooth rear sprocket on it. it sure does seem low geared on the fwy. the engine is at 4,200 rpm at 65 mph. how many teeth on the stock rear sprocket ? thanks.
    According to the JT Sprockets catalog the stock rear sprocket on your bike has 42 teeth. You could add a couple of teeth to the rear or add a tooth on the front sprocket for a bit more acceleration at the expense of top end speed, and your freeway cruising RPM will be a bit higher.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2008, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Call Jeff in sales at Z1. He can tell you everything you need or want to know.
      He hooked me up with a sweet 630-530 conversion. He's only done about 5,000 of 'em and knows about everything there is to know.

Plus that he's a member here !!

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by not a biker View Post

go to a 16 on the front...
        life will be good.
        note: if you haul around (large) women you may want to leave stock gearing on it.

Comment

if a person wasnt running a larger wheel/tire combo and or wasnt looking for all out/last drop of performance...
          why go to a 530 chain/sprocket combo???
          those motors are big and have alot of tork/mass spinning.
          unless you run a hayabusa grade/expensive chain..and if you power shift/do hole shots/run at the strip ect..
          you'll spend alot of time adjusting the chain if your lucky..
          if your unlucky, you will spit a chain/break a chain and have a damaged bike/cases and a scraped up a$$ to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            go to a 16 on the front...
            life will be good.
            note: if you haul around (large) women you may want to leave stock gearing on it.
            my drag strip days are behind me all i want is less rpm on the fwy.

Comment

For less RPM install a 16 tooth front. Ray.

Comment

Working...
              X