Pingel project completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pingel project completed

Well, I finally got my Pingel petcock on my bike and thought I'd report how I did it in case anyone else with an '80 GS750L decides to give it a try. It was a tight squeeze but it will fit if you get it turned just right. That's not the big problem.....

The pipe stand is too tall for the tank so the only choice is to get a racing petcock (no reserve) or cut down the pipe stand. I consulted with a great guy at Pingel named Jim Ricci and he told me how to go about it. I removed the screen and cut off an inch of the pipe stand with a tube cutter. After that, I trimmed the screen to the proper length and replaced it on the pipe stand. It worked just GREAT!!!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Pingel tends to have a very long feed tube. My bike can run on reserve for 100 miles or so.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I was wondering if you could post what you ordered for future refference. I have already replaced the pet cock on my 81 GS-750L as the bike came with one that had been epoxied. I assume the previous owner had a leak and rather than rebuilding just used epoxy to stop the leak which also made the pet cock inoperable.

If I have troble later on I may decide to go with the pingle.

Comment

follow-up

Yeah, Jethro, I reduced my reserve capacity considerably which I like. I don't want to go on reserve until I really need to get gas.

Mike, the number I used is 6211-CR. I left quite a bit of information regarding Pingel numbers a couple of days ago on a post entitled "Pingel fuel valves" so you might want to take a look at that too.

Comment

Thanks for the information.
          Mike

Comment

How thick are the pingle adapter plates? I think I might make myself a no-reserve petcock. It wouldn't cost more than 15$ in parts along with a tap to cut some threads and an inline filter.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

adapter

Hey Steve, I have no idea what you're talking about but, in answer to your question...the adapter plates are quite thick...about 5/16 inch. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Charlie,
                I am going to get a piece of plate and fit a brass fuel tap to it.
                Steve

Comment

How do you get the screen off without wrecking it? I bought a Pingel with a HUGE intake poste. I need to cut it down to about an inch and a half high. I guess I should just firmly grip and pull the screen off, but if there is a trick, I'd like to know.
                  Patrick

Comment

Screen

Hi Patrick....There was a post recently where I recounted pretty much the whole story...do a search of my posts and look at the one entitled "Pingel" on April 30. Here's a recap:

I used a razor knife and gently went around the base of the standpipe until it came loose. After that, I cleaned away the small amount of glue that had held it on. Then, I used a small pipe cutter and removed 7/8 inch. After that, I measured the screen and cut it with tin ships so it would stand just a little taller than the remaining stand pipe.

I got some expoxy from a very nice guy at Pingel but the screen snapped right back on tightly so I didn't even use it. Good luck!

By the way, cutting off 7/8 inch gives me a reserve of about 15 to 25 miles...which is perfect for me. I don't know which model you have so, based on the tank configuration, yours might be different. :?

WOW...I just noticed this post is a year old.!!

Comment

I am thinking of replacing my petcock on my 1979gs750l, do you think I will run into this reserve issue with mine too, cause I am not to sure I am comfortable cutting out the pipe, also, does the pingel kit adapter plate come with all required hardware like screws, gasket etc?

Comment

Yes

Yes, I think it will be an issue for you, too......for a couple of reasons. First, if you have a stock tank, it's 3.4 gallons which is smaller than mine. If it's shaped about the same as mine, you'll find that the Pingel won't fit because the standpipe is too tall to be in that location of the tank. :roll:

Secondly, even if it did fit, you'd probably be really unhappy with your reserve feature because when you switch to reserve, you'd have just under half a tank of gas left.....making your reserve virtually useless.

The good news is that you can fix both problems at the same time by shortening the standpipe. It's a really, really easy job and the adpater plate comes with a high quality gasket and bolts. The only thing you'll need is some teflon tape to use when you put the petcock into the adapter (to prevent a leak).

P.S. You can buy a simple tube cutter at any hardware store for less than 5 dollars.....and you'll get an absolutely perfect, accurate cut.

Comment

I know this topic is old, but here's a warning:

If you buy the Pingel adapter plate and petcock from Streetfighters-USA, their website is wrong. For my '80 GS750L, the site says to get the A1702C adapter plate. The screwholes in the adapter plate don't match up with the screwholes in the tank. The holes in the adapter plate are too close together. This is in addition to the pipe stand being too long.

Like an idiot I tried to drill a new hole in the tank so the adapter plate would fit, but it turned into a 7 hour nightmare that ended at 2:30am. This was especially bad since I was leaving for a trip at 6:30am. I don't know if the guys at Streetfighter-USA got their info from Pingel, but it is wrong whatever the case.

Comment

Also, if you take the Pingle petcock to a hardware store they will cut the 7/8" off for you and not charge you anything likely. I had mine done for free.

Dm of mD

Comment

The 1702C adapter fits E models for sure. On 750 E models, leaving the petcock standpipe full length gives a reserve of 1 gallon. On an 1150E, a full length standpipe gives a reserve of 5 quarts.

Earl
                              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                              X