Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignition coils...does it matter what side each is on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition coils...does it matter what side each is on?

I installed two new Accel ignition coils...but nothing was said on which side one should be or not.

Does this matter? Does one coil belong on the left and the other on the right? I'm confused. Help!!!

Rudi

Only for the sake of keeping things as they were installed stock. The coils are identical. It's just best to keep 1&4 on the left and 2&4 on the right as you sit on the bike. Then hook up the primary wires like I told you earlier.

Comment

Re: Ignition coils...does it matter what side each is on?

Originally posted by Rudi
      I installed two new Accel ignition coils...but nothing was said on which side one should be or not.

Does this matter? Does one coil belong on the left and the other on the right? I'm confused. Help!!!

Rudi
      No both are double fire coils
      a coil is usually a coil providing the primary resistance is correct

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
        Only for the sake of keeping things as they were installed stock. The coils are identical. It's just best to keep 1&4 on the left and 2&4 on the right as you sit on the bike. Then hook up the primary wires like I told you earlier.
        I must admit, I'm beyond frustrated with this subject. I am confused about my stupid Accel coils...not sure if I put them on correctly. The coils came with minimal installation directions...you know the kind: The type that assumes you know what you're doing in the first place. :?

Then again, maybe I DO have the coils hooked up correctly...and there is another reason why the bike won't start. Again, it turns over beautifully. Just won't fire up. Frustration is getting the best of me on this one...

Any idea when you'll all be at my house? Want to know when to fire up the grill!

Rudi

Comment

Don't worry about the positioning. If spark wires from one go to plugs 1 and 4 and leads from the other go to 2 and 3, then there is only one thing left to do.....either the existing electrical lead connections are correct, or they need to be reversed.

If Billy is coming your way, your problems are sure to be solved.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
            Don't worry about the positioning. If spark wires from one go to plugs 1 and 4 and leads from the other go to 2 and 3, then there is only one thing left to do.....either the existing electrical lead connections are correct, or they need to be reversed.

If Billy is coming your way, your problems are sure to be solved.
            I know it! Between Hap, Billy, and Tim...I feel like I'm being visited by motorcycle royality! ha ha! :P

One thing is for sure, those guys bring a TON of knowledge to the table. The last time Hap and Tim was here, I learned how to adjust my valves. Great learning experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi
              One thing is for sure, those guys bring a TON of knowledge to the table. The last time Hap and Tim was here, I learned how to adjust my valves. Great learning experience.
              I really think those guys should spend summers in Wisconsin. Texas is way too hot, we've got great twisty roads. Did I mention beer? And cheese too.

Bring tools.
              "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Bert
                I really think those guys should spend summers in Wisconsin. Texas is way too hot, we've got great twisty roads. Did I mention beer? And cheese too.
                We get toborrow hundreds of thousands of "Winter Texans", for about 5 months a year down here. They already drive poorly, then they start picking up habits from our visitors from south of the border. Makes for some poor driving conditions here. I saw a bumper sticker once that said something like, "When I get old I'll spend my summers up north and drive around all day like I'm dead." Be careful what you wish for Bert.

Just kidding.

Comment

Any of you Texans have a carb sync kit you want to lend me? Or better yet help me sync my carbs? I'll buy beer and food!

Comment

Uhhh Billy, I think that would be 1 and 4 on the left and 2 and 3 on the right. :-) :-) :-)

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Well, it took Hap approximately 1/2 hour to fix my ignition coil problem. Hmmm...I spent the last month trying to figure it out....and Hap comes over and spots the problem in a jiffy.

Hap better not rib me too badly about this one!! ha ha!

:-)

I admit it...I'm a novice. :roll:

Rudi

Comment

Well what did Hap fix so we'll know better the next time?

Comment

I need to clear something up here. Yesterday I received a set of coils from a newer Katana that I won on Ebay, which by the way are an exact replacement for our older coils. I never noticed in 18 years that the Suzuki coils have a +/- molded right into the resin that seals the end of the coils where the primary terminals are located. The + terminal is on the left as you sit on the bike and - on the right. I guess that's why I always kept the orange/white wire on the left terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay B
                            The wires from the ignitor were backwards. Switched them and also put spacer washers on the coil mounts to keep the coils from rubbing against the frame.

Rudi is now in the carb rebuild phase...he is getting a lot closer now!

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                              Originally posted by Jay B
                              The wires from the ignitor were backwards. Switched them and also put spacer washers on the coil mounts to keep the coils from rubbing against the frame.

Rudi is now in the carb rebuild phase...he is getting a lot closer now!

Hap
                              Yeah, Yeah...Hap came over and saved the day for me. Just came in and within a half-hour had the problem fixed. Don'tcha just hate guys like that? ha ha ha! :-) On a serious note, Hap saved me even more headaches! Lesson learned on those wires too. Thanks Hap!

In regards to the carb rebuild...I just received my O-Ring kit...need to get the gaskets now....then I'll be ready to re-essemble the carbs...mount them..and start the bike!!!!!

This long journey is coming to a close...I can't wait to have this bike on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rudi

Comment

Working...
                              X