Tire change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire change

After close to 700 miles of riding on my new 1100E, I decided to buy some replacement tires. Even though there is plenty of tread on the Dunlop Elites the rear tire is like riding on ice and the front is cupping from wear. Maybe the rubber has hardened due to age, but I have found my rear sliding out on turns too many times to trust it any more. My HiMaxx tires on my 1100G handle better and are stickier in the turns even in the cold weather, and after 4k miles on them they still have plenty of tread left. So with a tip on this forum I ordered a set of 100/90-19 front and 130/90-17 rear HiMaxxes for less than $90 total from Chapparal (I bought a set of longer stem mirrors too so I don't just see my shoulders anymore to bring the order over $100 for free shipping!) I hope to make the E as sure footed as my G. In the trash with the Dunlops!!!!
    Go head and make fun of my cheap tires, but from first hand experience its no contest....the Dunlops s*ck and the HiMaxxes definitely stick better in the curves. Besides I don't exceed 120mph anyway.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2008, 10:39 AM.

I was going to say that you would be happy with them, but then read that you already have some on your other bike, so you already know how good they are.

How does the tread wear look on the other tires with 4,000 miles on them? (Define "plenty of tread".) I can pretty much guarantee that you ride (quite) a bit harder than my wife does, but the Hi-Max tires we had on her bike (850L) lasted for 14.000 miles. Even if you get half of that, it's rather good value for the money.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I was going to say that you would be happy with them, but then read that you already have some on your other bike, so you already know how good they are.

How does the tread wear look on the other tires with 4,000 miles on them? (Define "plenty of tread".) I can pretty much guarantee that you ride (quite) a bit harder than my wife does, but the Hi-Max tires we had on her bike (850L) lasted for 14.000 miles. Even if you get half of that, it's rather good value for the money.

pretty subjective, but they don't even look half worn, and would expect another 4k miles.

Comment

The Dunlop Elites are touring tires and you have a sportbike. I'd of put some Dunlop GT501s or some Perelli Sport Demons.
        Be safe.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I've levered quite a few different brands on my '82 over the years. Last summer I replaced the Macadams with some Avons and have been happy with both. Even including the old Metzlers, I've never run a tire that wasn't "sticky" enough for me and the way I ride, and I've pushed that sucker pretty damn hard over the years. Always stick with quality rubber and keep 'em fresh.

mushman

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
            After close to 700 miles of riding on the my new 1100E I decided to buy some replacement tires. Even though there is plenty of tread on the Dunlop Elites the rear tire is like riding on ice and the front is cupping from wear. Maybe the rubber has hardened due to age, but I have found my rear sliding out on turns too many times to trust it any more. My HiMaxx tires on my 1100G handle better and are stickier in the turns even in the cold weather, and after 4k miles on them they still have plenty of tread left. So with a tip on this forum I ordered a set of 100/90-19 front and 130/90-17 rear HiMaxxes for less than $90 total from Chapparal (I bought a set of longer stem mirrors too so I don't just see my shoulders anymore to bring the order over $100 for free shipping!) I hope to make the E as sure footed as my G. In the trash with the Dunlops!!!!
            Go head and make fun of my cheap tires, but from first hand experience its no contest....the Dunlops s*ck and the HiMaxxes definitely stick better in the curves. Besides I don't exceed 120mph anyway.
            You're no dummy sir, but please do remember that no matter the brand of tire you should choose, this time of year is dicey for pressing hot rubber on cold pavement. Its simply not a good combo. So just be carefull, that bike is too pretty to mess up, and you're too good of a guy to see hurt!

Oh, and as an aside, yes the stock GS11 mirrors SUCK for anything other than a place to stick your helmet when you're not on the bike...lol. I couldnt see anything but shoulders, or armpit no matter how i adjusted them, so I had to take em off in favour of some barend mirrors....Spent a little bit on some GOOD ones (actual Napoleon, rather than the knockoffs that vibrate more than one of those 25cent beds at the naughty motels) and they work great. I can see everything that I need to, clearly. Only problem I have is right around 100mph, they move......ahhh well, who needs rear view mirrors when you're doing the ton anyway??? HEHEHEHEHEHE

Comment

Working...
            X