X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres a close look at the r/r with relay removed:

and of the other side of the relay where the conections are:

Comment

I really only saw 2 wires coming from the stator. one was orange and the other black, the papers said there were 3.

also the r/r only has one wire coming from it too..

can anyone maybe clear up whats going on here? i have better/closer pics of that relay ready to go, just didnt want to clutter up the thread with a bunch of consecutive posts.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagS25o View Post
        can anyone maybe clear up whats going on here?
        Yes, you have a rats nest of wires going to a aftermarket (non o.e.m.) relay. god knows what it's for.
        didn't see any battery cables going and coming from it, but it looks like a starter relay.

the sheath covering the wires from the stator should have three wires inside it. (yellow-white/red-white/green)

the aluminum finned piece LOOKS to be the R/R. how many wires are coming out of it?, it should have minimum of four wires.

let me see if I can find a wiring diagram.
        Last edited by rustybronco; 11-13-2008, 04:54 PM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

well i can tell you that the bike has a new ignition button on it, so that could very well be what the crazy relay is for. (meaning- the stock swtich built into the grip is disconnected and a new one is bolted on next to it. ) i think there is a battery cable going to it (red cable out the bottom), im back at work to ill check when i get home and let you know all the connections. didnt know it was aftermarket or i would have gotten more info for you guys.

the aluminim thing, suspect r/r has only one wire- that purple one , which connects to the blue/white wire you can see in the relay.

from the stator, there appears to be 2 wires one black (bottom wire), and one orange with a yellow connector (top).

Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2008, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I found the connection where the stator meets regulator, it was at the top of the bike, the regulator wires were ruining behind another compontent. 3stator wires, 5 r/r including the ground.

In the process of checking the wires and connectors and then get to testing...

Comment

On my 250, I found a short in the wiring harness under the seat. The ground wire inside the wrapped harness had been pressed against a 12V source, and the insulation had failed. This had zapped both the R/R and the stator.

If/when you find the R/R and stator are toast, don't forget to look for the original cause. Because of the PO's mods, you'll have more to do, of course.

Do you have a wiring diagram? Actually the 250's wiring is quite similar to the larger bikes - close enough to find your way about.
              Mark Fisher
              sigpic

Comment

i do have wiring diagrams in my manual.

i checked the wires and connections last night- they all seem to be ok. didnt get to test the components yet, letting the battery charge up and ill check the stator and r/r tonight or saturday.

i talked to another member last night, and he suggested , while im at it, to upgrade some of the connectors (just get new spade connectors)... any thoughts on that from anyone else?

didnt find anything faulty, BUT the r/r was grounded to the frame and not to the (-) battery terminal - thats something i want to reroute correct?

by grounding to the - terminal, it creates less resistance, according to the stator papers....
                Last edited by Guest; 11-14-2008, 12:40 PM.

Comment

i talked to another member last night, and he suggested , while im at it, to upgrade some of the connectors (just get new spade connectors)... any thoughts not that from anyone else?
                  None here...

Comment

I grabbed a Battery Tender, fully recharged the battery and started my tests.

Fortunately- very early on I found a poorly connected ground wire, I was able to re-do that properly and checked the circuits. Everything turned out ok, and the bike started on one push.

I took it out 3 different times today, for about 5 miles each ride, and it ran great. For now, no major component faults.

Comment

Now for the question that begs to be answered.
                      What is the charging system voltage, measured at the battery @? rpm's...

Comment

Cooking with electrons

Hi Mr. ChicagS25o,

Here are some PDF files (with pictures) I put together when I was working on the charging system of my bike. Maybe they'll help you. I've collected a lot of wisdom from the gurus here and saved it at my little BikeCliff website.

Stator Test
                        Regulator/Rectifier Replacement

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

well its been a while, i was able to squeeze out a couple extra weeks of riding by just charging the battery every so often.

now that there's snow and salt out, i ran the diagnostic tests, where i stand right now, my stator is bad.

At 2500 rpm the voltage was 12.29. I went thru the other initial tests according to the stator papers, and then began section B (the actual stator tests). During all of this i replaced a few connectors.

The resistance between all of the stator legs was 0.2. This points to bad stator.

There was infinite resistance when i tested the continuity to the ground.

The last was for the AC voltage output....not all the outputs were equal to each other (one pair was lower than the other 2 pair), and was below 60v volts.

So where i stand based on the stator papers/bass cliffs pictorial is that i need to replace the stator.

Unless anyone has any opposing advice, i will be ordering one.

Comment

I have one on that parts bike if you need it or are you going to get a new one ?

well its been a while, i was able to squeeze out a couple extra weeks of riding by just charging the battery every so often.

now that there's snow and salt out, i ran the diagnostic tests, where i stand right now, my stator is bad.

At 2500 rpm the voltage was 12.29. I went thru the other initial tests according to the stator papers, and then began section B (the actual stator tests). During all of this i replaced a few connectors.

The resistance between all of the stator legs was 0.2. This points to bad stator.

There was infinite resistance when i tested the continuity to the ground.

The last was for the AC voltage output....not all the outputs were equal to each other (one pair was lower than the other 2 pair), and was below 60v volts.

So where i stand based on the stator papers/bass cliffs pictorial is that i need to replace the stator.

Unless anyone has any opposing advice, i will be ordering one.

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                              I have one on that parts bike if you need it or are you going to get a new one ?
                              Thanks for the offer, but i think im going to get a new one, simply because of the history the stock ones have of going bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X